Problem with using S-Video -> Composite converter for TV-Out

Diadius

n00b
Right now I'm trying to hook up a EPIA VIA Mini-ITX motherboard up to a cheap little flatscreen monitor I have, but the monitor only accepts composite inputs (its more of a TV than a monitor), while the motherboard has S-Video out. So I bought an S-Video to composite cable and fired the bad boy up. Unfortunately, it didn't work - the monitor receives no video. But, when I hook the computer up to my regular TV with a standard S-Video cable everything works fine. From that point I can unplug the S-video cable, plug in the S-vid to composite cable, and hook up the small monitor and everything works perfectly. Unfortunately, upon rebooting, I'm back to where I started, receiving no video. I'm running Windows 98 SE. (Hopefully all that junk made sense. I'll try and clarify if needed.)
I'm assuming that my problems are due to the S-video to composite switch. What can I do?

I posted this on another forum (Something Awful's SH\SC), and the closest solution I got was:
most s-video out cards check to see if a signal is being sent back or held on the ground wire. only adapters that have capacitors built in to store the charge allow for that signal. a 5-6 dollar adapter won't work, i had to pick up a $20 adapter at radio shack, and my rf-modulator works as well.
Unfortunately I'm already using a high-quality converter, and I'm out of ideas.

make sure your monitor is receiving a signal (the hardware works) from other computers... that could be it. Return the converter for a new one? try a different computer.

~Adam

your telling the computer to send the video signal to the TV and not the moniter right???

you can hook right up with s-vid to your tv, then try using the converter and using rca to your tv if that works you know its you moniter and not your converter

then plug something in that uses rca to that "moniter" that is giving you trouble and find out how that works, once you can get a screen up on there, then try it with the converter and see what you can do i may be something as simple as you cant find that input in the tv menue, and you only have 15 secconds to do so, good luck

Your cheap flatscreen probably doesn't have any kinda a digital address/signature for the system to detect it as being there, a problem with cheaper setups like that.

Warriorprophet, I think you're right. I followed BLsibub666's advice and realized that it wasn't the converter's fault.
Is there anything I can do? Force it to use TV-out even if nothing is detected, or something? :(

I know there used to be a check box in Nvidia drivers to force detection of TV... or was it ATI?

You're using integrated Via, right?

I hate to keep bumping my thread, but I couldn't find anything that helped in the BIOS settings.
Could anyone be more specific on whether it was ATI or Nvidia with those drivers, or, even better, which cards? Maybe I can grab a cheap one off of Ebay.

Every Epia I've ever seen has both S-vid and RCA. Thate little RCA plug can be used as either spdif audio or RCA audio. There is a jumper on the board that lets you select. Maybe you can give using the actually RCA out a shot.

Back