Problem with microsoft's View workgroup computers

Cheetoz

[H]ard|Gawd
I have 2 pc's connected to my wrt54g, one wireless one wired. They can both ping each other. But when I go to "View workgroup computers" I can only see my computer, and the same for the other computer. I've tried disabling my kerio firewall, but nothing. I've checked the share files and printers on the network setup wizard with both comps.

Windows and personal firewalls are off?
Same subnet?
Same workgroup names?
Appropriate permissions?

Cheetoz said:
yep x 3

and what u mean about the 4th one>?<

He means, are the shared folders shared saying that anyone can access them?

In my experience Windows networking is sort of hard to get working. Also, the firewall suggestion is good but don't operate for too long without one without the right ports blocked. I would suggest going into Start -> Run and just typing "\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" where that is the other computer's IP address. It always works better than general network browsing for me and is often faster.

Exactly. If network places isn't resolving names then don't use it. Frankly the icon should be removed from the OS for workgroup peer to peer LANs. This is only about the 4000th post about Network Places in the last month here and EVERY other tech network board on the planet. Just use the UNC path or map the drive using UNC. Without WINS or a DNS server locally Network places is, and always has been, a joke.

Back