Hi
I recently upgraded to an XFX 5870. After upgrading, sometimes the display will start to flicker. Sometimes this will lead to the screen going all a single color (typically a similar color to what it was displaying right before it froze). When this happens, sometimes after a minute or so, windows will give me a message that the display driver had stopped responding and was restart. Other times I will have to restart my computer. Further, if I have to restart the computer, I have to completely remove power from the system for a few minutes (by using the switch on the PSU) or I will get no video when I restart.
I have seen the flickering when playing games, running furmark, and sitting on the desktop. However, it does not seem to happen only when I am running something graphically intensive. For example, I just ran furmark for about five minutes. The GPU was up to 80C and the fans were screaming like a banshee, but it showed no signs of flickering. However, when I stopped the test, the screen started to flicker a bunch, and I ended up having to switch off my computer for a few minutes in order to get it to work again.
I reinstalled the OS (Windows 7 x64) when I installed the card, and installed the latest video drivers (10.5). I also flashed the card with the latest BIOS from the XFX website. This helped with a fan speed problem.
I have heard that some people have issues with the 5870's, is this one of the known issues? Are there any other things I should try to fix the problem?
Since it doesn't list it in my sig, my PSU is an Antec CP-850. If you need any further details, feel free to ask.
I recently upgraded to an XFX 5870. After upgrading, sometimes the display will start to flicker. Sometimes this will lead to the screen going all a single color (typically a similar color to what it was displaying right before it froze). When this happens, sometimes after a minute or so, windows will give me a message that the display driver had stopped responding and was restart. Other times I will have to restart my computer. Further, if I have to restart the computer, I have to completely remove power from the system for a few minutes (by using the switch on the PSU) or I will get no video when I restart.
I have seen the flickering when playing games, running furmark, and sitting on the desktop. However, it does not seem to happen only when I am running something graphically intensive. For example, I just ran furmark for about five minutes. The GPU was up to 80C and the fans were screaming like a banshee, but it showed no signs of flickering. However, when I stopped the test, the screen started to flicker a bunch, and I ended up having to switch off my computer for a few minutes in order to get it to work again.
I reinstalled the OS (Windows 7 x64) when I installed the card, and installed the latest video drivers (10.5). I also flashed the card with the latest BIOS from the XFX website. This helped with a fan speed problem.
I have heard that some people have issues with the 5870's, is this one of the known issues? Are there any other things I should try to fix the problem?
Since it doesn't list it in my sig, my PSU is an Antec CP-850. If you need any further details, feel free to ask.