Problem with fan, Not 4 pin!

Drumkid503

n00b
I was being careless and i bought two huge 120mm fans without checking their power connection. I just assumed everything was either 4 or 3 pin. Instead I have two black wires comming out it. they are SUNON 115V~50/60Hz .20A Impedence protected fans(made in china). How can I hook these up to my power supply!? I can't return becuase i bought of a tiny online place. Please help.

They're AC fans. You'll have to wire them directly to AC power. Probably the best way to do this is to solder the ends of the wires to an appropriate place inside the PSU.

Strip the plastic coating off the iwres a bit....then stick on end in a the yellow conector of a molex and the other in a black....if it spins then you kno wwhich on is positive (yellow) find that with both fans...then wire them both to your molex.

RyanL said:
Strip the plastic coating off the iwres a bit....then stick on end in a the yellow conector of a molex and the other in a black....if it spins then you kno wwhich on is positive (yellow) find that with both fans...then wire them both to your molex.

NO.

because as it was stated, it is a 115v fan. AC.

please don't hook it up to molex and psu. please.

Teancum said:
They're AC fans. You'll have to wire them directly to AC power. Probably the best way to do this is to solder the ends of the wires to an appropriate place inside the PSU.

if you want to use those fans, that's what you should do.

You could solder it straight to the AC power connector inside the PSU. You'll need one wire on hot, one on neutral. They are often labeled on the power connector, but if not, ground is the one with almost always a green wire and, always connects to the PSU casing, and you don't want to connect your fan to that one.

Keep in mind that by wiring it up like this the fans will not be switched with your computer. In other words, they will stay on all the time unless you use the switch on the back of your power supply(supposing you wired the fan after the switch), but that is just an extra step to do after turning off your computer and before turning it on. And to reiterate what matt said, do not simply connect one of the fan leads to ground. This is household AC we are talking about and the rules are different. Do not work on it with the power cord plugged in. Check and double check what you soldered. A mistake here could result in injury or fire.

Drumkid503 said:
where whould be an appropriate place?

Teancum said:
Probably the best way to do this is to solder the ends of the wires to an appropriate place inside the PSU.

:rolleyes:
Wire the leads to the hot and neutral lines of the AC connector. Please unplug everything before you begin.

-special [k]

seems to work alright. thanks a bunch. now all i have to do is hook up a switch so my fans aren't always on. but i can take care of that myself. Thanks for the info.

I have a 92mm fan (came from an ancient PSU) with red and black wires. I cut the floppy connector off of an old psu in a semi-old comp, wired it to the appropriate wires and it works fine.

The other option you have is to hook up the fans to AC with a relay in parallel, controlled by the 12V line coming off the PSU. That way, when the computer turns on, the relay will close and allow power to the fans.

i switch would be better for me anyways becuase i'll only need the two fans when I'm gaming so my computer wont always sound like a jet engine.

Teancum said:
The other option you have is to hook up the fans to AC with a relay in parallel, controlled by the 12V line coming off the PSU.
Series ;)
If it was wired parallel then it would never turn off. Switching relays are intended to be put in series with the load.

-special [k]

V0ltage said:
I have a 92mm fan (came from an ancient PSU) with red and black wires. I cut the floppy connector off of an old psu in a semi-old comp, wired it to the appropriate wires and it works fine.

your fan, from an old PSU, was no doubt a 12vdc fan, not the 115vac mains fan he was describing

if you wire it to the psu, and put a switch, cant you wire the switch to your power switch?

I wonder how long until he posts another question asking "Why do I have these rainbow lines on my monitor?"

Th3KrawL3R said:
if you wire it to the psu, and put a switch, cant you wire the switch to your power switch?
uhh.. what?

Th3KrawL3R said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, I don't know why you want two switches when one will do. IIRC inside atx's the power switch is wired to hot, so just solder one wire from the fan to the power switch, then solder the other wire to neutral on the power connector, and your fan will turn on when you flip the power switch to your power supply.

On an ATX power supply, the power switch is NOT wired to hot. Back in the old AT days, that may have been the case. An ATX supply is a fair bit more complicated, and is always ON (unless the back switch is off). As far as controlling the 115V from the wall for these fans, you pretty much only have two options. 1) You can use a relay to switch the 115V to the fans as soon as your computer turns on, or 2) you can have a 2nd switch for the fans. There is no way to do it with 1 switch and no relay.

I was talking about the power switch in back, not the one up front. There are a few power supplies that don't have that back switch, but its mostly from Dell/Compaq/etc computers, not home built computers.

mattg2k4 said:
I was talking about the power switch in back, not the one up front. There are a few power supplies that don't have that back switch, but its mostly from Dell/Compaq/etc computers, not home built computers.

Ahh.. But how many people turn off the back switch on their computers when they're not using them?

Not me, but I switch off the power at the power strip. If he tied his fans to that switch, assuming its not stuck way underneat his desk its no big inconvenience to reach back there and hit the switch.

RyanL said:
DONT DO THAT... DONT DONT DONT

HE SAID 115V... AC

psu molex outputs are dc... VERY different

open your psu, look at where the main power cable comes in and use those points and solder there with a switch

dont do this with the psu plugged in... unless u like a lil tingly feeling...heheh

Yeah, that looks like a case of replying to a thread title, not the true topic. I hate it when people do that. Thats how you get bunches of replies saying the same thing, which has also already been determined to be wrong.

If you wire a switch and relay in series with the fans. That way they would only turn on when the pc was on (relay) AND you would have the option to turn them off if you wanted to (switch).

BUY NEW FANS!!!!

Problem solved, and to be honest, is the right way to do what you're doing. You asking for so many problems using AC fans.

i need one cus my mom has an old vacuum cleaner that my dad just recently fixed but the problem is it overheats a LOT like every 5 min and it shuts off... so i thought it would be a good idea to hook up a fan that helps remove hot air

wayne said:
i need one cus my mom has an old vacuum cleaner that my dad just recently fixed but the problem is it overheats a LOT like every 5 min and it shuts off... so i thought it would be a good idea to hook up a fan that helps remove hot air
Well it doesn't sound like he fixed it very well. You can get ac fans just about anywhere you can get dc fans.

jpmkm said:
Well it doesn't sound like he fixed it very well. You can get ac fans just about anywhere you can get dc fans.
his 'fix' was replugging and securing a loose plug that keeps falling out leading to it not working... what made it overheats was that he realized it was an old machine and its really loud and also doesnt have the best filter so he took those soft foamy pad thingies and put it on the inside... thats what causes it to overheat but its a lot more quieter

i came up with the idea to use an AC fan to increase airflow

Back