Problem with Dell GX280

So basically what I posted on this thread above is the answer...get the Performance heat sink from DELL...that is it.

MD

MD_Willington said:
So basically what I posted on this thread above is the answer...get the Performance heat sink from DELL...that is it.

MD
I don't know what kind of heatsink they are going to install now. Hopefully a better one than what I have now!

Does the case have a green plastic shroud covering the CPU? If so, remove it. Trust me, I did that to the rig in my sig below and now it's blissfully quiet. :)

1c3d0g said:
Does the case have a green plastic shroud covering the CPU? If so, remove it. Trust me, I did that to the rig in my sig below and now it's blissfully quiet. :)
The ONLY reason your fan isn't as loud as it was is that it's not cooling the CPU very well and is drawing cooler air from other parts of the case...The shroud is there for a reason.

1c3d0g said:

I am not going to do anything to this system until Dell's experts fix it.

If it cannot be fixed, I am going to ask my sueprvisor to buy me one of these :D

Mr_Evil said:
The ONLY reason your fan isn't as loud as it was is that it's not cooling the CPU very well and is drawing cooler air from other parts of the case...The shroud is there for a reason.
Yeah, it's there for a reason, and a stupid one at that. Dell is so cheap they won't even supply a standard CPU fan... :mad: WTF!?! Instead they rely on one pathetic CASE fan to do the job of an independent CPU fan... this is another reason I hate Dell. Why skip such an important cooling device? What would a CPU fan cost a big OEM? $2? Maybe less? :mad:

Anyway, my PC has been running strong (and quiet) for over 7 months now with the shroud off, and that's in 30C+ weather. If something was to overheat, it would've cracked by now. :)

That "Case" fan that Dell puts in their systems moves more air than you think when on full blast. It's quite effective actually. Maximum PC did a sort of "wind tunnel" test of sorts in several different systems including a Dell with a fan shroud. The test involved funneling fog from a fog machine inside the PC's whilst running, it turned out the Fan shrouded Dell was one of the top performers in terms of overall cooling of critical components.

While the fan shroud might be useless to us enthusiasts who can tolerate 10 uber CFM fans. The average computer buyer won't tolerate anything noisier than their central heat/air. I've had customers complain when their PC was half as loud as my main rig. Using the fan shroud and a single thermostatically controlled fan ensures adequate cooling of the CPU whilst keeping down the noise level.

Also, removing that shroud is detrimental to the cooling in your system (unless you've added a fan) Right now there's not much airflow across your heatsink, the shroud is in place to ensure maximum airflow across the heatsink with minimal noise. It might not be causing a problem for you, but your CPU sure isn't as cool as it would be with the shroud. I've been building and repairing PCs for going on 6 years now and I've had a general interest in PC Gaming for more than 10. So trust me when I tell you that it would behoove you to replace that shroud.

DiscoStu said:
I work for a school district and we have about 100 of the little mini GX280's in our CAD classrooms. Those fans all get super loud when under load. Luckily Dell finally moved to BTX so hopefully the new model we're buying this year isn't as nasty.

You got to get all the heatsinks (of loud machines) replaced by Dell. This problem is due to a defective heatsink. I am pretty sure about it by now.

MD_Willington said:
Make sure you have the "Performance" heatsink, it has more heatpipes, the insane spinning fan noise issue was common on the GX270's with the stock heatsinks..

Found this post just now in the dell forum about GX280 noise...fixed with performance heatsink...

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfo...other&message.id=16708&query.id=291671#M16708

You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! (Thanks for the tip). Heatsink was replaced (by Dell) yesterday and the system is normal now.

The GX280 heating problem was solved thanks to this forum (not Dell customer support). Thanks to all who offered me valuble tips to resolve this issue. I am not going to thank Dell (although I like the way they responded in this case) because their technical support never understood or tried to understand the real problem (as I wrote before, they were asking me to take apart the system and look for defective fans, which was not the cause of the problem).

The best advise I received in here was extracted from Dell Community forum (which Dell is trying to close??) and seems like many others have this problem with GX280 (and most of them don't know what to do). Imagine something like this happening to an automobile manufacturer - they'll have to recall all defective vehicles and fix them for free. However, for computers, it is not the case yet. One can argue that these are not life-threatening situations (as in the case of vehicles), but a faulty computer which handles a lot of important things (like mine) can decide a lot about my/my workplace's "life" and future. Also remember, a lot of tax payer money is WASTED by state and federal governments on buying these.

Getting this thing resolved doesn't mean I am becoming a Dell fan. I still have my outstanding laptop computer case (explained in post #11 here ) and bad experience on monitor deal with Dell.

My advise to others (as of now): Think twice if you are buying a Dell - specially if it is for your personal (home office) use. Basically, be ready to forget about the money you spent on your system (home) if it is broken. Also, back-up all your data at the end of each day/work if you are using a Dell for ANY important work.

Thanks again for all the comments/suggestions you all offered me. This forum is way better than Dell's "award winning tech support".

Back