Problem with 3 monitor setup (2x GFX)

Klingon

n00b
So my old workstation a HP xw6200 had 3 monitor connected. 2 of them via a Quadro FX 1300 AGP card and the last one connected to an older GeForce MX 4000 PCI card.

The setup was running WinXP x86 and I never had any issues.

I recently upgraded to a new workstation, a HP xw4200. It came with a Quadro FX 1800 PCIe and the same OS. I took the MX card from my old workstationto to get my old 3 monitor setup back... but no dice.

If I tried adding the drivers for the MX card and then boot the PC will BSOD everytime I start it. Both cards will work on the system alone, but not together...I have tried with all kind of drivers using a drive cleaner/safe mode wipe each time I have swapped them but to no avail.

Any tips on how to get this working again on my new setup?

Try checking in the bios and make sure the machine is set to post to the pcie grafix card. May be worth a shot ? I take it if you remove the pci card the machine no longer bsod's? Have you tried moving the mx4k to another pci slot, there could potentially be an irq conflict, although I have not see one of those in years.

Try checking in the bios and make sure the machine is set to post to the pcie grafix card. May be worth a shot ? I take it if you remove the pci card the machine no longer bsod's? Have you tried moving the mx4k to another pci slot, there could potentially be an irq conflict, although I have not see one of those in years.

Not much options in these lightweight HP bios'es, but I think I found it. And it was pointing to the pcie.

It does not help if I remove the card, as long as I have both drivers for both cards installed the computer will always BSOD. The fix is to reboot with last known good config, i.e. before the drivers where installed.

And yes I highly doubt its an IRQ conflict, I still tried swapping PCI socket though, no luck.

Not much options in these lightweight HP bios'es, but I think I found it. And it was pointing to the pcie.

It does not help if I remove the card, as long as I have both drivers for both cards installed the computer will always BSOD. The fix is to reboot with last known good config, i.e. before the drivers where installed.

And yes I highly doubt its an IRQ conflict, I still tried swapping PCI socket though, no luck.

Tried checking your PCI and PCIe Voltage? Could be if it's a stock system they tend to have underpowered PSU's in them. Might be worth a shot to see if your voltage drops when you have both cards running. If one drops out in the middle of an OS Boot, it could easily mean a BSOD.

What error is it kicking with your BSOD?

- Urban.

Tried checking your PCI and PCIe Voltage? Could be if it's a stock system they tend to have underpowered PSU's in them. Might be worth a shot to see if your voltage drops when you have both cards running. If one drops out in the middle of an OS Boot, it could easily mean a BSOD.

What error is it kicking with your BSOD?

- Urban.

Hmm don't know how I would check that in this system... not any voltage monitor options in a HP bios.

The BSOD is the generic "win32k.sys page_fault_in_nonpaged_area"

I should mention that both GFX cards works individualle while both are connected. But then only if a driver is installed for one of the cards. As soon as I try adding a driver for both it BSODs at boot.

Back