Problem seeing other computers in the local network

limsandy

n00b
Here is my problem. My cable modem is connected to my main D-Link router and my main desktop computer is connected to it. I hard-wired my new Linksys router in my bedroom to my main router. My desktop is running Win XP and my laptop Win 7.

Now, if my laptop is connected to the D-Link router, it can see my desktop computer, but not when it's connected to the Linksys. I have kept the same workgroup name and everything. My goal is to share files between the two computers, but I can't do that since they are not seeing each other.

Can someone please help me? Thanks in advance! ;)

Did you do any configuration of the Linksys router?

Do these steps on both computers

Hold windows key +R

Then type cmd

type ipconfig /all

Post the output from both computer here please :)

I flashed the Linksys router with dd-wrt firmware.

On the desktop:
IP Routing is disabled.
WINS Proxy is disabled.
I've set my local IP to 192.168.0.125

How do I copy and paste output from DOS window?

Result from the laptop coming soon. :D

I flashed the Linksys router with dd-wrt firmware.

On the desktop:
IP Routing is disabled.
WINS Proxy is disabled.
I've set my local IP to 192.168.0.125

How do I copy and paste output from DOS window?

Result from the laptop coming soon. :D

i forget :p

Printscreen it and upload it to imageshack or tinypic or your other favorite image site

is the DLink plugged into the LAN port on the Linksys, or the WAN/Internet port?

Do NOT use the WAN port of the Linksys.

Disable DHCP in the Linksys.
Change the IP of the Linksys if you want; not necessary, unless it's currently the same IP as the DLink. Although it is advisable to change the IP so it's easier to connect to if you want to change any settings.

You're done.

is the DLink plugged into the LAN port on the Linksys, or the WAN/Internet port?

Do NOT use the WAN port of the Linksys.

Disable DHCP in the Linksys.
Change the IP of the Linksys if you want; not necessary, unless it's currently the same IP as the DLink. Although it is advisable to change the IP so it's easier to connect to if you want to change any settings.

You're done.

No, actually the Linksys is plugged into the D-Link.

I'm sorry I should have clarified this: my lappy is connected to the network wirelessly most of the time.

I'll try and disable DHCP in the Linksys when I get my hands on the lappy. :D

so it goes Linksys LAN PORT 1 -> Dlink LAN PORT 1 correct?

DHCP on on dlink

DHCP off on linksys

It is cable right, not DSL?

No, actually the Linksys is plugged into the D-Link.

I'm sorry I should have clarified this: my lappy is connected to the network wirelessly most of the time.

I'll try and disable DHCP in the Linksys when I get my hands on the lappy. :D

We know that from your first post...but what J-Sta is asking...is HOW is the Stinksys connected to the DStink? There's a HUUUUUGE difference, from your symptoms..it sounds like the WAN port of the Stinksys is connected to a LAN port of your DStink. In which case, you've double NAT'd, and you have two separated networks..the NAT firewall of the Stinksys is doing it's thing.

What you want to do is what J-Sta typed up above..you wan a LAN port of the Stinksys going to a LAN port of the DStink, and you want to make sure DHCP is off on the Stinksys, and that it's LAN IP is NOT the same as the DLinks (you don't want them both at 192.168.1.1 for example)..because, well...your network will fall to its knees. But since you're running wireless on both, you'd want to change the LAN IP of your Stinksys to be in the same range as the DStink..say the DStink has a LAN IP of 192.168.0.1, make the Stinksys LAN IP 192.168.0.254.

^^ do i detect a hint of animosity towards some specific vendors in your post?!?!?! :D

but yes- pretty much what he just said. you are double NATing, you need to not do that.

^^ do i detect a hint of animosity towards some specific vendors in your post?!?!?! :D.

Nah, it's just my occasionally weird sense of humor, I have nicknames for lots of things in IT..even products I use and like.

IBM Thinkpad ==> Stinkpad
Apple ==> CrApple (although yes I don't like apples)
Netscape ==> NutScrape
Dell ==> Smell
Netgear ==> Nutgear
Internet Exploader
Device Mangler
Task Mangler
..the list goes on and on

so it goes Linksys LAN PORT 1 -> Dlink LAN PORT 1 correct?

DHCP on on dlink

DHCP off on linksys

It is cable right, not DSL?

Actually, it goes like D-Link LAN port 3 <---> internet port on the Linksys. Shuld I change it so they're each on LAN port #1?

How do I disable DHCP on the Linksys? I can't find it. :(

I have conected both routers on LAN port 1 each and set DHCP disabled on the Linksys but it's still not working. Moreover, I lose internet connection if I wire the D-Link into LAN port 1 on the Linksys. It has to go into the internet (WAN) slot. I have wasted a few hours trying to set it up without success, guys. Help? :(

Actually, it goes like D-Link LAN port 3 <---> internet port on the Linksys. Shuld I change it so they're each on LAN port #1?

How do I disable DHCP on the Linksys? I can't find it. :(

Change the ethernet cord on linksys from internet to Lan Port #1

ignore me, just seen last post

On my Linksys (router in the bedroom to which my lappy is connected most of the time), does it need to be a DHCP forwarder?

I'm curious.... does it have to be LAN port #1 to LAN port #1? Or can it be any LAN port to any LAN port?

I'm curious.... does it have to be LAN port #1 to LAN port #1? Or can it be any LAN port to any LAN port?

"Any to any" with todays current hardware. Those 4 LAN ports are usually just an unmanaged switch..so it doesn't matter. On some older hardware that doesn't have more current auto-MDI-X hardware in there, you may need either a crossover cable, or one of the routers to have a 5th uplink port.

Back