problem OC'ing 5900xt

moose6589

n00b
Hi,

I bought an eVGA 5900xt about 2 months ago, and I tried to overclock it today using coolbits. It overclocks, but the OC is just so terrible that I can't accept it. Defaults are 390/700, and currently it is at 440/720. The engine OC is not terrible, but the memory one is just...disastrous. Coolbits does not let me raise the memory clock over 720 when I click to test new settings because it says the card won't run at the new frequency. How is this possible? I've heard of people getting 800 and over , so 720 is simply unacceptable. Any ideas on why coolbits won't let me go over? It says the same thing for engine clock if I put it over 440 even though I haven't discovered any stability problems or artifacts yet.

What drivers are you running? The ones that came with the card might have some built in limits. Get the latest fron Nvidia's website.

Actually, I do have the latest drivers from nVidia's website, 56.72, so it can't be the driver's fault. Any other ideas? I don't think it's possible that 440/720 is the true limit of my card. Should I be trying other OC programs? Any recommendations?

Back