[PROBLEM] Making a network...

KamaL

n00b
Hi there everybody...

I'm working on making a network between 3 computers which are far from each other, one in each house... The network will be used to share Internet acess through a Router...

The first client PC is obviouslyt near the Router, so there were no problems...

For the second client PC, 40 meters far, i used a very good RED colored cable which my friend gave me...I'm not sure about this, but I think it's a Gigabit cable, with written on it 600 HZ or something like that... Everything went fine

For the 3rd Client Pc, 50 meters far, I had to use a normal CAT5 cable, but unfortunately, I couldn't have any data transfers at all.. The client detects it was connected to a network, but nothing moves from there, and it can't get any IP from the Router's DHCP...

I assume that the problem is with the cable... I must say that the cable had to be "hung in the air" for some meters, and maybe the network didn't work because of that, or because of some tension, or something like that, where the red gigabit cable could support such conditions..

As far as I know, Cat5 cables are good for netwroks up to 100 m, so the length can't be a problem...

Do you have any advices guys??? Am I missing something??? Do u have any idea what could be the problem??? Or maybe I should simply buy Gigabit cables??? (even if I'm not using Gigabit ethernet cards!!!)

Thank you in advance..

KamaL :)

KamaL said:
Hi there everybody...

I'm working on making a network between 3 computers which are far from each other, one in each house... The network will be used to share Internet acess through a Router...

The first client PC is obviouslyt near the Router, so there were no problems...

For the second client PC, 40 meters far, i used a very good RED colored cable which my friend gave me...I'm not sure about this, but I think it's a Gigabit cable, with written on it 600 HZ or something like that... Everything went fine

For the 3rd Client Pc, 50 meters far, I had to use a normal CAT5 cable, but unfortunately, I couldn't have any data transfers at all.. The client detects it was connected to a network, but nothing moves from there, and it can't get any IP from the Router's DHCP...

I assume that the problem is with the cable... I must say that the cable had to be "hung in the air" for some meters, and maybe the network didn't work because of that, or because of some tension, or something like that, where the red gigabit cable could support such conditions..

As far as I know, Cat5 cables are good for netwroks up to 100 m, so the length can't be a problem...

Do you have any advices guys??? Am I missing something??? Do u have any idea what could be the problem??? Or maybe I should simply buy Gigabit cables??? (even if I'm not using Gigabit ethernet cards!!!)

Thank you in advance..

KamaL :)

Its cuz the cable was RED. Some NIC's have special bios's that will only interface with certain color cables because the refraction syncronizes their ion shields. ;)

Length shouldn't be a problem as you stated. Check the ends to make sure they are good. Also try using the red cable to the non-working PC - then you'll know if its a problem with the cable or the PC.

test the regular cat5 cable on the pc with the red cable since you know that works. That will allow you to narrow it down to the PC or the cable.

Thanks for the advices guys..

Anyway, I fogot to mention something... I have a small device which testes the cables, and actually it shows that it's OK... I

Now I'm only afraid that the tension created by the hanging in the air for 10-15 meters could ruin all the transfer..

Do you think that putting it on another think cable would help??? Is it worth trying???

Thanx guys... :)

Trying a different cable is definitely the next step. If the red cable works on the other computer also then you KNOW the other cable is bad? Common sense...no?

Gr8, it worked in the end!!!!

I just had to remove any tension on the cable, and everything went fine!! Just what I expected!!

Thanks guys!!

I think it was the "red" cable designation, as if the color of the cable might mean something...

Phaedrus said:
I think it was the "red" cable designation, as if the color of the cable might mean something...

Hehe, it was just to make some differentiation..

Back