Problem in connecting laptop with Home Theater..

I need some help here...

I am new in all this and would really like to use my system to play some music from my laptop...

I have Yamaha AVR RX-V863 and Home Theater Surround system with some Klipsch and Polk Speakers...It is working great, but I have problems with sound quality when I connect it with my laptop in order to play some music from YouTube etc...
My laptop is Sony VAIO model PCG-71312L

I connected that through headphone jack on laptop with regular (3 $$) audio Y cable (CD out at AVR), and I can not hear clear music. There is this background noise that is very annoying.
Also, because everything else (ps3,cable,dvd) is connected through AVR and TV when I switch to CD mode at my AVR in order to listen music from laptop, I can not watch TV in same time...

i'm not familiar with your specific receiver, but most home theater receivers are designed to handle one source at a time. If you hit TV, you get the audio connected to that input amplified and piped out to your speakers and the video connected to that input piped through the video out to your display device. Hit VCR/DVD/anything and you get the same effect, all output is switched to that input. Given your description i assume you are using a set top box piped through the receiver for television playback, if this is true, then simply pipe another video output (if one is available) from your STB to your receiver on an unused input (say VCR.. whatever) which has a video input, then connect your laptop audio out to the audio input for that port on the receiver, switch to that port and you will have video from your STB and audio from your laptop. That said, i don't know why you would want to do that, but that seems to be the solution to what you are asking.

As for your noise issue, try better cabling; aside from that the problem could be a ground issue (for which you would need an isolator), a need for a line level adapter, or just noise from your computer's internals (for which there is nothing you can do but use a discrete audio card and hope for the best).

EDIT: if the noise is a constant hum, i would suggest you look up a "Ground Loop Isolator". If the noise is static on top of the louder portions of your music, try the line level adapter. If the noise is a screetchy hiss that changes pitch or tone when you perform different actions on your laptop, then i suggest the discrete audio card (they make these for PCMCIA slot if your laptop has one).

Last edited:
Back