Problem booting into XP SP2

carlbme

[H]ard|Gawd
I went into a game and noticed I had no sound. I exited the game, made sure nothing was muted etc.. and everything was as it should be. I checked the Device Manager to make sure no conflicts or errors, there were none.

I rebooted, instead of seeing the normal Windows XP boot screen I was presented with a IBM OS/2 Warp screen. I thought WTF!!, and the computer rebooted to the safe mode prompt. I booted into safe mode successfully, double checked everything, couldn't find any issues. Rebooted again, same problem.

Any ideas as to what caused this and how to fix it (other than the obvious clean wipe and re-install).

Os2/warp HA :D ... well it could be worse.. I'd say you picked up a virus/trojan.... Have you run your virus scan/spyware from safe mode.

Yup, it just got finished running a detailed scan.....nothing

If you seeing a totally different bootup screen that you yourself did not put in there then it is definetly a virus. Download the trial version of NOD32 and scan with that.

Well, it's fixed. Nothing popped up with a virus scan, so I downloaded Search&Destroy and ran it. It found a few things, so I let the program fix it and I was back in buisness.

Seems my 2.5yr old son has been playing on here and clicking on all the wonderful bright, shiny, and flashing banners, going from link to link.

I wish I would of saved a log file to see what the actual cause was, but I just wanted to see if it worked when I tried it. So I still have no clue what caused it, just that it probably is due to the kid (can't think of anything else).

Back