• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Probably need a new processor, amirite?

antipunt1

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 30, 2008
Messages
170
So I'm guessing my E8400 ain't gonna cut it anymore :(

Especially after my video card thread, I felt I needed to upgrade my gaming experience. So I went on New egg and :eek:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671 50001157&IsNodeId=1&name=Intel

SO MANY good choices.

Considering my video card/mobo/likely graphics card (off other thread) combo, what do you guys think I should go? There's so many positively reviewed items it's like impossible to choose; well, except of course I need to make sure it's compatible with the mobo in my sig

Video card thread:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1641643
 
i5/i7 is awesome along with p67 or x68 board 2500k or 2600k rock, Microcenter has amazing deals on them thesedays. if you will not over clock get non K edition chips.
 
Reviews on Newegg don't mean squat. It's either haters, or people without an ounce of technical knowledge when it comes to CPU's.

Your best bet is to sell your motherboard, RAM (if it's not DDR3), and CPU, and get a i5 2500k setup.
 
Cool story. So I just realized I forgot a pretty important question...

how can you double check if the processor is compatible with your mobo? :rolleyes:

(uhh... sorry, I'm a blatant noobie here. Is my mobo even viable?)

I'm kind of at a loss here. But at the same time, trying to avoid having to start from scratch if reasonably possible. That i5 looks pretty yummy, will ti work with the 750i?
 
Last edited:
Nope, you cannot use your motherboard with the new processors.

Your motherboard uses socket 775. The i5 2500k uses 1155, and DDR3 memory. That's why I told you to sell your CPU, motherboard, and RAM if it's DDR2.
 
Cool story. So I just realized I forgot a pretty important question...

how can you double check if the processor is compatible with your mobo? :rolleyes:

(uhh... sorry, I'm a blatant noobie here. Is my mobo even viable?)

I'm kind of at a loss here. But at the same time, trying to avoid having to start from scratch if reasonably possible

Your current mobo is socket LGA775. The latest Core i5/7 require LGA 1155 boards. Therefore, you will need a new motherboard to utilize one of the new CPU's.
 
Thanks for all the help guys, very appreciated

*cries in a corner* Oh god, yeah, I just did a search and a mobo switch does indeed seem necessary for any reasonable cpu upgrade...

At this point I'm wondering if it's more economical to just keep my old processor, and a video card that only takes advantage of my current CPU resources. With that said, I don't want to gimp myself if my specs are really THAT old. Oei Vey..., the confusion :confused:
 
So yeah, after going back and forth between threads, I'm considering leaving everything alone and just getting a new 6870. Think my rig will be strong enough to handle Skyrim on lower-tier, high settings? Just trying to see if I can remain a cheapskate :eek:
 
Last edited:
Why not try to find someone selling a used 775 system, and just do a motherboard/CPU upgrade? You should be able to get into a used Q9550 or the like for a reasonable price. Don't bother getting a GTX 460 (unless you get a really good deal on it) as it is last generation. Get a 560 or 560 Ti instead.
 
Sorry I fixed/edited my post. I mean at 6870, not GTX, which is supposed to have higher performance. Also, I heard that the 560 Ti would not be a good purchase (off the other thread) because with my current setup, I couldn't take adv of its power (but then again, I think you may have meant along with the cpu upgrade) (if so, my bad)
 
Sorry I fixed/edited my post. I mean at 6870, not GTX, which is supposed to have higher performance. Also, I heard that the 560 Ti would not be a good purchase (off the other thread) because with my current setup, I couldn't take adv of its power (but then again, I think you may have meant along with the cpu upgrade) (if so, my bad)

Yes, a 6870 is a better bet than a GTX 460. The 560 would be a better choice than a 460 because, even if it were limited by your CPU, it woudl perform better when and if you upgraded. Just because you have an old CPU doesn't mean you have to pair it with an old GPU also (you won't get immediate benefit from a new GPU, perhaps, but you could stair-step your upgrade).

I still think you should look for a used 775 quad-core as I imagine Skyrim, at least, will benefit from more cores.
 
I couldn't open the page you linked. Maybe re-post your proposed build over in the General Hardware section - you'll get some good advice on a full build over there.
 
Wait just 5 more days. Hopefully Bulldozer will have the effect of helping drive prices down, and even if it doesn't, it may be a good option for you to look into.
 
Wait just 5 more days. Hopefully Bulldozer will have the effect of helping drive prices down, and even if it doesn't, it may be a good option for you to look into.

^This.

Upgrading from the rig in my sig to 2600k and shiny new mobo/ram, but waiting to see if there's a price (performance?) war first.
 
Thanks for the advice/follow ups all. From now on, my discussion will continue via this thread in general hardware, because it seems that I'm reworking the entire comp now (haha)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?...post1037851698

Also, I'm sure you will all tell me eventually, but this new CPU launch is being brought up rather frequently. I'm going to be on my toes with you guys these next couple of days. Glad I checked first before buying anything. :p
 
Back
Top