Print Exchange

Print in the mail today. It was really much harder picking than I thought it would be...

This. Just dropped mine off at shipper - should arrive around the 23rd. I ended up printing several images and kept changing my mind before I finally decided what to send.

Discovered that my local print lab now carries metallic paper when I picked up my print... Would've looked great - oh well, next time!

Got a print in the mail today from Botw! Thanks dude - love the cool electric guitar macro!

USPS did quite a number on it. :( I got it pressed in a large sketch-pad now to flatten it back out - doesn't look like there's any real damage. I'll edit pics in here in a day or two. :D

Sorry about USPS. :( I'd be happy to send another one (and I guess find a better print envelope) or have smugmug shoot you one if it doesn't flatten well.

This is the shot:
December-25-2009-L.jpg

So earlier in this thread it looked like we had decided on 8x10 for the print size but the two posted photos don't look like 8x10 to me. Have you guys been doing other sizes?

I'm back from my trip and editing photos now and trying to find the right one to send out :)

So earlier in this thread it looked like we had decided on 8x10 for the print size but the two posted photos don't look like 8x10 to me. Have you guys been doing other sizes?

I'm back from my trip and editing photos now and trying to find the right one to send out :)

The photo I'm sending off on Monday was originally a 4x6 format, so I needed to find a nice 8x10 crop that worked on it. I cropped the photo and then submitted it to the printer.

I have framed all my photos in the viewfinder to optimally fit 4x6, so cropping to 8x10 is actually kind of sad. Took me a while to find a list of photos that I liked in 8x10.

Edit: for instance the photo I received from ben chi(f4) doesn't have the bag of the right most surfer in it.

The photo I'm sending off on Monday was originally a 4x6 format, so I needed to find a nice 8x10 crop that worked on it. I cropped the photo and then submitted it to the printer.

I have framed all my photos in the viewfinder to optimally fit 4x6, so cropping to 8x10 is actually kind of sad. Took me a while to find a list of photos that I liked in 8x10.

Edit: for instance the photo I received from ben chi(f4) doesn't have the bag of the right most surfer in it.

Interesting I can send another? Guess my printer screwed up, basteeds

Hmm... it is also lighter then the digital picture you posted.

I meant to take a picture of the picture right away after receiving it, but the week got away on me. I'll take a picture tomorrow afternoon once I get back from the post office.

Last edited:
The one I sent was an 8x12 to avoid cropping as the subject pretty much fills the frame.

I tend to compose fairly tightly as well, so there aren't usually many cropping options to work with

Hope it turned out ok. =]

Cape May by Chris Perscky, on Flickr
Since he didn't post pics of it. =]

Hmm... it is also lighter then the digital picture you posted.

I meant to take a picture of the picture right away after receiving it, but the week got away on me. I'll take a picture tomorrow afternoon once I get back from the post office.

Here is the picture I received. Put it near the window, so I'd get a soft light on it.
Photo_From_Ben_Chi(f4)_2012_01.jpg

Thanks Paul for the awesome SERIES of prints in B&W of Georgia!
I'll let you post digital version if you want as they will look better than my picture of a picture :)

I went through my vacation photos last night and chose the keepers... I'm off to PP and see if there is one worthy of sending to my person... if not I've got an ace in the hole!
Edit: Vacation photos didn't quite cut the bacon, but I sent my print off to the printers today!

Smitty

Last edited:
Thanks SilverMK3! Print got here fine and dandy, now just need to find a frame for it. (Wife loved it too which surprised me, didn't think she would be into infrared photos!).

Finally got my order placed today, two kids at home is a little trying, and today is his one week birthday!

Thanks Paul for the awesome SERIES of prints in B&W of Georgia!
I'll let you post digital version if you want as they will look better than my picture of a picture :)

Glad you like 'em ok! I couldn't decide which one to send, so I didn't. Sorry for bending the rules a little. (I was also too lazy to crop them to 8x10, sent the 8.5x11's right out of the printer) :p I'll try and put some more planning in next year to make sure I am within specs. Here's what I sent:

h-print-savannah.jpg

I really hope we get more people next year. FLECOM you can unsticky this. Thanks for your support.

Thanks SilverMK3! Print got here fine and dandy, now just need to find a frame for it. (Wife loved it too which surprised me, didn't think she would be into infrared photos!).

Finally got my order placed today, two kids at home is a little trying, and today is his one week birthday!

Glad you guys like it
IMG_3183.JPG

Congrats on the new addition! :D

Got a very nice sunset print from smugmug today. There was no way to tell who it was from, but thanks!

Got a very nice sunset print from smugmug today. There was no way to tell who it was from, but thanks!

I suppose that would be me! I live in the middle of nowhere and there are not professional printing places around so I tried out smugmug's service for the first time. How does it compare to this:

IMG775567stitch-XL.jpg

(I had to crop for the 8x10 format)

That is a great sunset Smitty2k1. Nice balance between the reflection and the sky.

I got your print today, MN Scout!
Awesome farm scene sunset, I love the color of the sky and the leading lines taking you through the field toward the silos. Also wow - that was some hardcore packaging! :D

Thanks!

I got your print today, MN Scout!
Awesome farm scene sunset, I love the color of the sky and the leading lines taking you through the field toward the silos. Also wow - that was some hardcore packaging! :D

Thanks!

I'm glad to read that the print got to you unscathed. This was the first time I've sent a package internationally and the first time sending a photo print.

People online were recommending using shipping tubes, but I didn't have any of those and didn’t like that the print would get curled. Ended up shipping the print in a clear page protector then sandwiched between two very stiff pieces of double thickness cardboard would have to be enough. Before sandwiching the print, I taped it down to one of the pieces of cardboard so that it wouldn’t shift to the edge (left a 1/2 inch margin). For future print exchanges USPS First-Class Mail® International Parcel service was cheap enough ($4 for 8oz). All the other shipping options were $15+.

Here is the picture I sent to SilverMK3:
Photo_Sent_To_SilverMK3_Print_Exchange_2012_-_Wisconsin_Hobby_Farm_by_Adam_Bavier.jpg

Back