Prescott or Northwood for transcoding

Spudsdude

Gawd
I'm looking to boost my speed at transcoding movies, the application that i use is multi-threaded.

Currently I am using a p4 2.6b, so i'm looking for an upgrade to add in HT support.

Between Prescott and Northword, figureing 3ghz for speed, which would you pick?

I'd consider Xeon's, but last one I built was just too expensive for my tastes.

They say Prescott handles HT quite a bit better. So that may be a bit more appealing to you.

There are some cheaper Xeon boards like the Asus one using the 875 chipset. If you can take advantage of SMP then I would definately look at that. Just be warned, Asus has been stingy with the overclocking options. Otherwise I'd tend to stick with northwood 800FSB if you will overclock. Prescott may be interesting, but it's looking like a not yet purchase to me.

The only real important thing when doing this type of work is raw horsepower... You aren't going to get much of a benifit between the two in most applications. If you are using Virtualdub or Nandub then there will be almost no difference, or the Northwood will do better.

still up in the air on this one.. thinking maybe i get one of each and compare them .. then sell off the other one .. lol =)

that asus mobo and xeon's is a cool board and idea.. depends on how much they oc to =)

guess i'll have to see.

You will have a hard time going past 533 FSB unless they release a new 800 FSB Xeon and Asus updates the BIOS. Still, couple of the cheaper 400 FSB chips and that board is somewhat interesting depending on how you want to use it.

Decided to hold off on the desktop cpu change until the new socket prescotts come out.

Course i got sidetracked and ended up ordering a 3ghz HT laptop. (in sig)

Back