Premiere Pro user went from 4790K to 3800X

E4g1e

Supreme [H]ardness
A couple of days ago I upgraded my main rig from an Intel i7-4790K that I had been using for more than five years to a new AMD Ryzen 7 3800X because Adobe (for its Premiere Pro software) is now requiring a newer-generation CPU (no more than three years old) just to run properly.

Old rig:
Intel i7-4790K CPU
Asus Z97-AR motherboard
32 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 CL9 RAM
eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB GPU
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SATA SSD
Samsung 850 PRO 512 GB SATA SSD
eVGA 750 G2 PSU

New rig:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X CPU
Asus Prime X570-P motherboard
32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM
eVGA GeForce 1060 6 GB GPU
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SATA SSD
Samsung 850 PRO 512 GB SATA SSD
eVGA 750 G2 PSU

I got it running this past Friday, and everything that I've been doing in Premiere ran almost three times faster than my old system ever did. Exporting a 40-minute 1080p video from ProRes 422 to H.264 using CPU-only encoding took a little over 13 minutes with the new rig versus 37 minutes with the old rig.

As of now, count me in for Team Red.

E4g1e

Now learn to Davinci Resolve 16 and you'll laugh at Premier.

Yes that's quite an upgrade in performance for you no doubt.

Zen2 is a real winner!

Now learn to Davinci Resolve 16 and you'll laugh at Premier.

Yes that's quite an upgrade in performance for you no doubt.

Zen2 is a real winner!
I know about Resolve, but I will need to purchase the $300 paid version in order to take any advantage whatsoever of hardware acceleration in Resolve - and then, I will also need to budget an additional $800 for a GPU, just to make the Resolve purchase worthwhile. That's $1100+ that I cannot currently afford at this time.

The free version does not offer much, if any, hardware acceleration.

Yeah resolve is strictly GPU as far as rendering. 2080ti minimum if you dont want long renders.

I recently upgraded my friends PC from a 4770 with 16GB to a 3900X with 32GB.
For his daily work, Corel, Indesign, photoshop, it feels the same, but Premiere Pro is almost 4 times faster, so he didn't feel too bad spending $1,500 to upgrade.

Yeah resolve is strictly GPU as far as rendering. 2080ti minimum if you dont want long renders.

I worked with guys in Santa Monica on projects for HBO and Universal.
2014 I was getting them try and buy Dell rack 7310 workstations with 8 Quadro 6000s.

Time is $, and some of those creative directors aren't exactly patient with their change orders.

A 3970x is a day's invoice for me doing IT much less an editor, so the work potential a build generates is more than the sum of a maxed out build.

I worked with guys in Santa Monica on projects for HBO and Universal.
2014 I was getting them try and buy Dell rack 7310 workstations with 8 Quadro 6000s.

Time is $, and some of those creative directors aren't exactly patient with their change orders.

A 3970x is a day's invoice for me doing IT much less an editor, so the work potential a build generates is more than the sum of a maxed out build.

So youre saying you make a lot of money? Not sure what.

So youre saying you make a lot of money? Not sure what.

Im saying on specific types of projects the editors are billing a ton to crank out change orders as fast as humanly possible.
I kept their gear and networks running like I was wrenching on dragsters btw runs.
This is in the face of workstations essentially being last mile compute, where a Disney team is trumpeting their relationship with Azure bc they see the need to distribute completed shots rather than a more traditional local workflow.

It’s not the cost of components, an entire build, or shelves of FC drives that matter in the environment I know TR3 builds are being considered.
How many runs that team gets out of the builds for that invoice is what matters.
The more runs a team can finish compared to another team gets them another invoice, stack those invoices up and the winning team is a preferred vendor.

If TR3 proves to stack more bricks than another workstation platform with few quirks, I think early adopters have an opening to enhance their reputations if they have the right kinds of work in the pipeline.

I find the business of using gear interesting in times like this.

I find the business of using gear interesting in times like this.

Its all about money. There is no way the small guy can even enter that market it seems like. No way I could with my little single CPU single GPU solution. Not that I would.

Back