Precision M20 and Transcend 1GB DDR2 SODIMM

franke3c

Limp Gawd
Hope someone can help me with this one. I recently purchased a new Precision M20, and 2 GB (2x 1GB ) transcend DDR2 sodimms from newegg. Originally I tested the RAM and both sticks passed mem test for 17 hours without a problem.

Tried mem test again a few days later and then i start seeing problems. I then isolate that one stick is having problems. Only running 1 stick of the transcend now, and then run mem test for 2 days now without a glitch.

Last night run memtest on the good stick and now it's failing mem test after 8 hours. This stick has passed memtest for a good atleast 72 hours.

What would cause this ? I noticed that the memory is burning hot after mem test, and it's too hot to even touch. Anyone having problems with memory that is sitting underneath the keyboard?

Just out of curiosity ....

What CAS latency is memtest reporting?

I had some problems with memtest errors with the Kingston DDR2. Single or both sticks would have errors. Memtest was reporting CAS 3 on the timings just above the results

Just on a lark plopped the 256mb dell memory that came with the laptop back in slot A and a 1gb stick in slot B

Memtest reported CAS 4 timing and the 1 GB stick (which had reported errors on every other memtest) ran for 10 good runs of memtest.

Gotta wonder if memtest itself is causing the problems. The dell memory test never reported a problem with the rams (but lot less extensive test)....

Back