Powerpoint 2007 - Crashes when importing/playing movies

Oooska

Gawd
Okay, I'm a little bit stumped on this issue. I've got a laptop running Vista Business and MS Office 2007. All is well until you try importing a video into Powerpoint. At that point, Powerpoint stops responding and crashes. Vista restarts Powerpoint for you, but the issue continues to occur. If I import the video and tell it to play on click, rather than when the frame starts, the program does not crash until the video attempts to play.

I've tried repair Office, completely uninstalling Office and then reinstalling, it's fully patches and up to date. Tried running sfc /scannow. There were a few issues it claimed it couldn't fix due to files being locked IIRC, but none of them were related to either Office or WMP. I also tried installing WMP11 from Microsoft, but it refuses to install because the version already on there is slightly newer.

At this point, I'm kind of stumped. It seems like it's related to Office's media player capabilities, which I'm guessing utilizes WMP, but I'm not positive and no one else appears to be having a similar issue from my search of MS' news groups and google. . . any one have any suggestions or come across this before by any chance?

I feel kind of stupid. It appears to have been a thumbnail issue. The system did not have a codec for one particular AVI file, and when the system attempted to create a thumbnail from it, it crashed, taking along the program that called the thumbnail code along with it (in this case, PowerPoint, but it would also crash Explorer if you went to the directory). I installed the Vista Codec Pack and all is well now.

Back