PowerDVD on Media Center PC failure

Ravenrex

[H]ard|Gawd
A friend of mine bought an HP machine that came with WindowsXP Media Center edition. (don't ask, this wasn't my suggestion) He already had a laptop machine that he was using a ripping program on to rip his DVD collection to his HD. On the laptop he was using Cyberlink's PowerDVD to view the ripped files. On the MediaCenter PC he installed the same PowerDVD software to view these movies, but when he goes to run them, or even view a pressed DVD it fails with a Windows application error and cannot view the movie. I cannot physically go and look at the machine because he lives too far away, but I've been trying to troubleshoot this from here. I had him uninstall and reinstall the PowerDVD software. No dice. He can view other pressed DVD's with other players on his machine so it's not the DVD drive. But the other players do not have the functionality to play the ripped movie files.

Could there be some sort of DMCA crapola in the Media Center edition of XP that is causing that player to fail? Remember, it fails to play a pressed DVD as well, but other players on that same PC can play DVD's correctly.

I think it's the MediaCenter edition vs Standard Windows XP.

Anyone have any experience with this?

(Yes these are his DVD's, nobody is trying to pirate anything, he just bought some HP-uber mediacenter PC with a large LCD monitor and wants to have all his MP3's DVD's and digital pictures on the same machine, not a collection of DVD disks that he has to pop in and out of the drive)

It sounds like he may just be missing a codec or something. I'm not aware of any copyrighting problems on media created on other machines, and trying to have them play on MCE machines. There are some Windows Updates regarding file compatibility, so have him do that as well.

I'll have him try that, but it's not giving a missing codec error, it's giving him one of those "This application has failed in a horrible and miserable manner so do you want to send an error message to Microsoft" errors. If it were a codec I wouldn't think that other DVD player software on his machine would be able to play pressed DVDs or the PowerDVD player would at least be able to play the pressed disks. PowerDVD fails either way, trying to play the DVD or trying to play the rips.

Maybe PowerDVD has issues with Windows Media Center. You might check cyberlink's website for an update for PowerDVD.

Back