Power went off

Irishllama

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Messages
1,634
So I lost power twice in a matter of a few minutes, I go to turn my PC back on and well... That's where the story turns downhill.

It will not stay powered on for more than a few seconds.

I've tried unplugging everything besides the 24 and CPU 4. Same problem.

The standby light on my IP35 pro is lit up, and when it powers on the green light also comes on but only for a brief second or two.

I don't have a multimeter at the ready, so I cannot test it via that way.
 
Leave it off and alone for about 30mins, if you haven't already done so. Try again later.
 
Sure it wasn't a power surge or anything?

Sounds like like whatever happened may have negatively affected the PSU.
 
Leave it off and alone for about 30mins, if you haven't already done so. Try again later.

Off and unplugged from the wall. I know my computer won't turn back on after an outage until it's been completely unplugged for a bit after the power comes back on. I don't know why that is, though.
 
Sure it wasn't a power surge or anything?

Sounds like like whatever happened may have negatively affected the PSU.

Shouldn't of been, we've got power surge protection at the incoming line to the house via the power company (Now how good this is, I have no idea).



Also, I just woke up so I'll go try the PSU again
 
Off and unplugged from the wall. I know my computer won't turn back on after an outage until it's been completely unplugged for a bit after the power comes back on. I don't know why that is, though.

Off and unplugged from the wall? Effectively isolated from any charge being able to move? For electronics this is effectively like putting it in stasis... the only thing that would change is probably temperature...
My guess is you're looking at a coincidence.

If after a forced power-down you have issues, you are most likely looking at either a power-supply issue, or a data-corruption issue. Try from a bootable disc and see what happens.

EDIT: By bootable disk I mean a live-cd of some sort... ubuntu is ok for both playing with linux and testing, I'm sure there are better diagnostic tools - but I rarely run into situations where I need one, so I'm not sure what to recommend.
 
Well it's a for sure PSU issue, went to go turn it on and nothing at all. Took it out and tried the paper clip method, again nothing.
 
Off and unplugged from the wall? Effectively isolated from any charge being able to move? For electronics this is effectively like putting it in stasis... the only thing that would change is probably temperature...
My guess is you're looking at a coincidence.

Except that it's happened every single time I've had a power loss. No coincidence. For some reason, my computer just doesn't like a power outage. Besides, you ever hit the power button right after unplugging? Fans will still move for a half second. That's because capacitors inside the PSU are still charged.
 
Sucks about the PSU man... when you get a new one you should test your system for stability, the voltage spike that killed your PSU could also have damaged your other components.

Except that it's happened every single time I've had a power loss. No coincidence. For some reason, my computer just doesn't like a power outage. Besides, you ever hit the power button right after unplugging? Fans will still move for a half second. That's because capacitors inside the PSU are still charged.

Yes, and they stay charged until a circuit is completed - even if you unplug the computer from the wall. I guess if you are unplugging it, discharging the capacitors, and pugging it back in.. that might help at start up since the discharged capacitors have a lower effective resistance... except as soon as you apply a current they start charging again, so if that were the problem you'd be back at square one in a few seconds.

I guess the reason I have a hard time accepting this is because the only difference between a loss of power from the main and physically unplugging the computer - is the loss of grounding when you unplug the computer, and potentially a voltage spike from the outage.

Obviously something is happening because you are getting a result... but I would bet there is something else going on here that you could also reproduce without unplugging the computer. That's the coincidence I'm talking about, not that it happens randomly - just that whatever unplugging the cord and plugging it back in is doing isn't necessarily what is fixing the problem.
 
Back
Top