Power Supply affecting OC

demingo

Trump is My President!
I've been trying to push my system beyond 2100Mhz for a while now, and have had no luck. It would seem that both my CPU and Ram reach their limits at this speed. However, I began thinking my PSU might be the culprit. Its a 450w no name unit which came with my case... An ISO-500 to be exact. Anyway could the PSU be to blame for my inability to break 2100mhz?

Asus probe reports my fails as follows:
5v: 4.7 - 4.8
12v: 12.4 - 12.5
3.3v: 3.2 - 3.3
Vcore (set at 1.75 in bios): 1.76 (rare dips to 1.74)

I know monitor readings arent 100% accurate but this is just for a general idea. The system specs are in my Sig. Also, I just recently installed the 9800pro and havent had any problems with it so that makes me wonder if it really is the psu. Thanks

edit: forgot to mention.. running 6 80MM fans, and a USB mouse/gamepad as well. Dont think that affects my drain much tho :p

maybe you just got a bum chip?

when i upgraded from a 430w Enermax to my PCP&C Turbo-Cool 510 Deluxe, i was able to run 3Dmark2k1 at 2.4GHz, which previously caused BSODs. so basically, it gave me 100MHz, but it was still unstable.

yea, the bum chip theory might explain it, but why would my ram also crap out at this speed... i tried running 210mhz and 215mhz x 10.0 multiplier with lose timings. something i think corsair sticks should be able to handle. 210 was only reasonably stable..

did you try putting a digital meter on the rails underload?

try 210MHz x 9.0.

also, check your rails with a DMM like OPUS1 suggested. you can get an inexpensive DMM from Radio Shack that should work just fine for you.

alright..

how exactly would i test the rails...

and 210x9 makes no sense as i lose a lot of speed with it.. i doubt the 10 extra mhz on the bus will make up for losing 200 on the cpu

demingo said:
how exactly would i test the rails...

testing your 5v and 12v rails is easy. just check the voltage on one of your 4 pin molex connectors. red is 5v and yellow is 12v, or maybe it's the other way around. both of the black wires are ground, so you can use either one.

the 3v rail isn't as simple because it is only present on your 20 pin ATX connector or your SATA power connector if you have one. it's the orange wires.

Or, if you have one, the 6-pin AUX connector has 3.3v wires. Also, most SATA power connectors do not at this point have 3.3v lines.

hmm, my PCP&C has 3.3v lines in the SATA connectors. guess thats not the norm though.

Do what felix88 said. By lowering to 9 you'll see how far your ram goes. Did it on mine. Turns out that the CPU is the limiting factor.

felix88 said:
hmm, my PCP&C has 3.3v lines in the SATA connectors. guess thats not the norm though.
Yep, very true. Most supplies right now, like the Vantec IONs, Antec Truepower, and pretty much anyone except PCP&C that is offering SATA connectors do not have the 3.3 :(

Back