Power Consumption and Cost

djnes

Fully [H]
Joined
Mar 24, 2000
Messages
19,560
Can anyone give me rough estimates on what it would cost to run a cable modem, router, one PC 24x7? The PC is the bottom one in my sig...2 HDDS, one optical drive. I will have a monitor connected to it, but only powered on when in use. I'd like it to be my domain controller, so I am wanting to let it run 24x7. Any rough ideas for the three? The router is a standard Linksys 4 port w/ wireless.
 
Umm, results are mixed, but No more than $50 a year. If you want hard numbers, its too difficult to come up with.

You have to fill in too many variables.

Monitor on 24/7 or does it hibernate?
CPU and all drives pegg'ed 24/7?
video-card pegg'ed 24/7?

Doubtful. The consensus is that its somewhere around $5-10/month for the above-average hard-core enthusiast per PC. My electric bill fluxuates too much from month to month (summer = swimming pool, winter = heat) to notice.

If you had 100 activity at all times, compute the watts used, divide by efficiency of your PSU, add in the watts for the monitor, speakers, etc and multiply out to get Kilowatt Hours (the normal means for billing electricity in the states) and do some more multiplication for 1 month (or whatever time you get billed) and come up with a figure.
 
I was estimating around $5 a month, which is more than doable.
 
Back
Top