"Power Cable Not Connected"ATI x800pro

monkeysauce

Limp Gawd
I've run into an simply wonderful problem with my BBATI x800pro agp. I unplugged it from a working machine, and when I plugged it back in, I got the "power cable is not connected to video card" error. Funny thing is, it was plugged into the molex just as usual. I tried to get the card to work on 2 different motherboards with 2 different power supplies on 2 different monitors, all with the same results.

why is this happening? I can't send back for RMA because one of the paper stickers is missing on the card (bought it second hand on [H])

I just sold an X800XT, it also had the molex connection on it. I have not owned a pro, so I don't know the feability of this proposal. My card had a 4pin floppy molex connection, and a 4pin regular molex connection on it, and either (NOT BOTH) would power it successfully. If you have the option, please check and see if one of the power input adapters has failed. Also, another thing to check, especially if using a Y-cable, would be that all 4 sets of pins on the male end are aligned correctly, and not bent inside the platic molex housing. Also, some Y-adapters are cheaply made, and the pin/cable assembly for each of the 4 wires may come loose and slide out the back. Please ensure that the molex connection is properly seated and aligned, and not damaged. Also, check the power requirements on that card, and make sure that your PSU can handle the load. Does the amperage and voltage ratings from the old working machines' PSU differ greatly from the newer machines PSUs'? If so, you can connect all you want, but it it's overloaded due to the video card, you may be SOL.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately there is only one power input on the card, the other is a yellow audio output. I think the actual power input must be the culprit. I'm plugging the card in on both machine without any adapters, and with no other accessories plugged in (just cpu, motherboard, ram and video card).

It's strange that this problem would occur with no obvious damage, bent pins or burn marks on the card. Everything looks fine...

Ah, yellow audio out=VIVO connection. Gotcha. What happens if you put the card back into the old machine? Does it work again?

The problem started when I unplugged it from the old machine, then plugged it back into the same machine 15 minutes later.

Rig 1 - (has run with the x800 for about 8 months)
DFI NF3
A64 3400+ Venice
2x1gb gskill
Antec 480w

Rig 2 (confirmed to work with a pci video card)
Abit NF7-s
Barton2500+
256mb BH-5
Ultra V-Series 500w

Suggestions: Check that another AGP cards works in the NFS7-S. I had one of those, and recently gave it to a friend. If another AGP card works in the new board, verify whether the card works again in the old board. If yes, then something with machine #2's PSU. If not, check the solder point on the power connection of the card. If you're handy, you may try repairing it...what do you have to lose?, you can't return it now anyways.

Note: System #2 has as much system RAM as it does video RAM :D :p

I just sold a 9800pro that was in the nf7-s machine which was AGP. This keeps steering me to the x800 being borked. I'll look really closely at the power connector to see if anything isn't right

i have the exact same problem on my x1950xtx its says the cable is not connected when it is. huh?

i have a x800xl and i get this problem sometimes installing newdrivers

but in ur case its not drivers

(just wanted to put the word out ,maybe someone has this problems with x800xl CHECK THE DRIVERS not a likly problem but it happens to me so it can happen to u

Kherozene said:
i have the exact same problem on my x1950xtx its says the cable is not connected when it is. huh?

Found that my problem lies with my new Corsair HX620W, its modular rails didnt have any power running through them.

Kherozene said:
Found that my problem lies with my new Corsair HX620W, its modular rails didnt have any power running through them.

huh

i've noticed the x800 has flaky power connector - there should be 4 pins, make sure theyre all intact. As when u remove the power connector you'll notice how hard you'd have to pull it almost rips the pins out.

Back