Powdercoated & Quiet....

jmack_3

Limp Gawd
This was posted in the old forum, I figured I would repost here now that the new forum is up and running:

front.JPG

back.JPG

Its a P4-2.4C running @ 3Ghz
1GB RAM
Radeon 9700NP
Powdercoated metallic red
Rear I.C.E. fan removed & grill cutout, adapted to 120mm fan controlled via Speedfan
P.S. fan grill cut out & fan 7volted

Joe...

Was any prep work needed or did you just take the case cover and face plate for powder coating as is?

Ned

Thanks for the props guys....

ned911, I just took them over to the powdercoaters, they prepped & finished the pieces.

outinthecold, it's extremely durable, much better than paint, although it does cost more to do... The powdercoaters charged me aroung $99 for the two case parts I had done...

Thanks, guys...

Joe..

You have a very nice case.

I did the 80-120mm fan mod and it works good... but i'm still waiting on the decision to powdercoat the case and face.

Hate to say I'm stealing your ideas, but hell.... who can blame me....

(no i'm NOT going to pwdrct it red... :D )

I have a question.

when something's powered coated, isnt the actual thickness of the object increased?

now, I'm sure the increase in thickness is probably minimal but in your Shuttle's example, didnt (or wouldnt) the cover of the case be a tighter fit where in meets up with the front of the case due to the actual thickness of power coating on the cover itself?

ozziegn said:
I have a question.

when something's powered coated, isnt the actual thickness of the object increased?

now, I'm sure the increase in thickness is probably minimal but in your Shuttle's example, didnt (or wouldnt) the cover of the case be a tighter fit where in meets up with the front of the case due to the actual thickness of power coating on the cover itself?

Yes the powdercoating does indeed add some thickness to the parts... I specifically asked the powdercoaters to plug the holes in the front panel for the LED's & switches. The front panel now fits ALOT tighter that it did originally as does the cover, I actually prefer this though as now there is NO WAY IN HELL that the casecover will ever start to rattle. I had no problems w/ screw holes though, everything screwed together just as stock.

Joe...

spencers said:
How did you get the front face painted?

It is actually powdercoated.... The faceplate is a piece of aluminum, so I just had it powdercoated the same color as the case cover...

Joe...

Best looking shuttle I've seen in a while.. :D

That deep red is absolutely gorgeous.

Zero_Distortion said:
what color is the chassis, I may powder coat a few covers shortly, friend has a machine.

It's been awhile so I can't remember the exact color... It is a slightly transparent metallic red... I just looked through the color chips at a local powdercoaters office & chose one that looked cool... There are MANY different colors to choose from, I would recommend you do the same. Once you find a color you like you can order it up and go for broke!

Joe...

Looks hot. That's the same 120mm beast I've been planning on slapping on the back of my Shuttle.

CrimandEvil said:

Very Very ;)

Not that you'd see a whole lot of it, but having the insides (I would have said chassis, but that might confuse based on the terms used already.) powercoated black would look amazing

mutazx said:
...but having the insides (I would have said chassis, but that might confuse based on the terms used already.) powercoated black would look amazing

I was thinking about that as the whole chassis is aluminum, Y not do the whole thing in one color or contrasting colors... hummmm... I need to make a few calls...

Not to be the designated troll, but it really doesn't look special to me considering the cost of it all. My Sonata came out of the box with the same finish, for less than the cost of that finish.

Oh, and the ugly optical drive and memory card reader on the front kill the otherwise nice look - maybe something should be done about them too.

BinaryJay said:
Not to be the designated troll, but it really doesn't look special to me considering the cost of it all. My Sonata came out of the box with the same finish, for less than the cost of that finish.

Oh, and the ugly optical drive and memory card reader on the front kill the otherwise nice look - maybe something should be done about them too.

Your sonata did not come out of the box powder coated red, it came out black, stock painted black, just like every other sonata out there.

*edit because i can't type worth a damn

I might just have to put that as my backround :D :D

"Bob, DONT go towards the light". "But its so beautiful, larry" BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ;)

DREW

Back