• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Potential cheap folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might just get that! Unfortunately I am not. Leme know when you find an Intel setup. :D
 
How much is shipping? I know Fry's has the same thing for $180 instore.
 
To each his own, but I will never buy a GQ (Great Quality...suuuure) computer. At Fry's they now make you put any GQ computer on a separate receipt because so many of them get returned. They're pieces of crap and you truly get what you pay for. However, for those of us who know what we're doing with computers, fixing a problem wouldn't be that hard, but it's just wrong of them to sell these to the general public.

 
Do you happen to know what specific hardware is used in these GQ machines? Considering their cheap MB/CPU combos use ECS boards, would it not make sense that they would use the same MB in their uber-cheap systems?

On second thought, maybe this system isn't that great of a deal. I think this way:
Socket A Sempron/MB combo from Fry's - $70
Cheap case/PSU - $35
128MB RAM - ?? (can you even buy 128mb DIMMs retail any more? Let's say $20 for 256MB RAM after rebates, etc)
40GB HD - ?? (again, can you still buy these retail?, I'll say $30)
52X CD-ROM - ??(again, can you still buy these retail? Call it $10)
Floppy - $5

That gives a total of $170 sans OS. For a retail customer like me. For them, a big retailer? Knock off $10-$15 from the MB/CPU, $10 for the case, $2 for the floppy, call it $10 for the 128MB, and $5 for the CD-ROM, and you get a total of around $130 sans OS. Yes, I am pulling these numbers out of nowhere, but I think they're reasonable.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top