Post your sleeving/loom

Bad_Boy

2[H]4U
i plan on getting sleeving soon, id like to see some of yours though. i know theres not many differences in sleeving but id still like to see lol.

ill post mine when it comes (hopefully before the next two weeks).

:cool:

mods: sorry if this should be in the gallery

Captain Colonoscopy said:
http://www.free-image-hosting.org/pic.php?pic=6/17123290769.jpg
http://www.free-image-hosting.org/pic.php?pic=6/17202164864.jpg

That's what I did with my sleeving. It's the Vantec kit from www.svc.com. Make sure you have a really hot hair-dryer or heat gun for the heat shrink tubing though. Mine wasn't hot enough and I couldn't get some of the tubes to shrink enough. :(

I just use my trusty bic lighter for the heatshrink :D . gets it done and then some.

JEEVES

·PitBuLL· said:
I have a question, what did you use to cut the sleeves? Every time I cut them the cut messes it up.

I like using a propane torch after making the cuts to melt the frayed ends together after cutting. You could possibly use a hot wire or some other sort of hot cutter but I think singing the ends after a normal cut works just as well...

Here's some of my proudest work:
0034.jpg

I'm still working on a rig worthy of putting it in but that will have to wait until I move my shop to the garage. You can see more of my work with cabling here:

http://www.unofficial3d.com/atx/cablingprototype02.html

pretty sweet guys, i was thinking nobody would post here lol.

Captain Colonoscopy: good stuff bro. im getting that same kit but in black. do you think i should order two packs or one? did you have enough for all your wires?

jmroberts70: that sleeve you used for the molex is pretty cool, like rounded cables but for the power supply lol. i like it.

Bad_Boy said:

jmroberts70: that sleeve you used for the molex is pretty cool, like rounded cables but for the power supply lol. i like it.

Thanx for the compliments! I've been sitting on this for almost 2 years now (just about enough time for SATA to make all this useless) but I have created a couple of tutorials for making the molex cables yourself with some pretty simple tools (and some microphone cable). Check them out here:

http://www.unofficial3d.com/atx/cablingtutorial01.html
http://www.unofficial3d.com/atx/cablingtutorial02.html

Bad_Boy said:

Captain Colonoscopy: good stuff bro. im getting that same kit but in black. do you think i should order two packs or one? did you have enough for all your wires?
QUOTE]

I had leftovers, but I did not sleeve the 5 volt or AUX leads.

thanks again for the replys guys.

nice tutorial jmroberts70. i might have to try that some time when i build a computer for a customer or for myself.

Captain Colonoscopy: thanks for the response, ill get one pack then :)

ordering mine tommorrow from newegg.

I almost forgot, I ran out of the colored zip ties. I think they only put like 10 or something in the kit. But there was plenty of heatshrink and sleeving. Be prepared to spend an afternoon doing this. Oh, yeah, you do have a molex pin removal tool don't you. If you don't RadioShack carries them for around $6. Have fun and good luck.

Captain Colonoscopy said:
I almost forgot, I ran out of the colored zip ties. I think they only put like 10 or something in the kit. But there was plenty of heatshrink and sleeving. Be prepared to spend an afternoon doing this. Oh, yeah, you do have a molex pin removal tool don't you. If you don't RadioShack carries them for around $6. Have fun and good luck.

ah thanks again :D
i got a bundle of zip ties from tieing up my psu in december, so thats ok.
ill get 1 pack becuase you say its enough, and i trust you on that :)
and the molex pin removal tool, got it covered. comes with the molex pack im buying
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=12-999-036&depa=0

thanks for the help! :D hopefully it doesnt take too long for my stuff to come in so i can hurry up and post some pics up.

jmroberts70 said:
[Jaw on the floor]...I've been shopping at newegg for a couple of years now and never ran across that item! What an awesome find! I even went and got a removal tool from another supplier not knowing about this. Thanx for the link!

glad i could help. that molex pack is pretty cool, i love the idea of the grip. only bad part about the pack is that it does not have any male molexes i beleive, and just female ones.

I want to organize the cables behind my desk; the monitor, speaker, keyboard, mouse and various power cables are really ugly (glass desk, you see). I've been doing a thing with twist ties, but that doesnt improve things; I'd like to make it appear to be one big wire, but not make it permanant.

Is heatshrink the right way to go? maybe a looming thing?

Use duct tape... Its the best for modding PC's... Specially now that you can get different colors of duct tape... Kiss that silver stuff good bye

I use a hot air gun for the heatshrink. Propane torch for melting the frayed end of the sleeving. Usually the sleeving is flat, having been packaged that way. This is what I do to get it to form right. After cutting, take the cut sleeve and squeeze it open and then closed the opposite way. With a pair of plyers, firmly hold it and leave ~1mm extending out of the plyers end. Use a torch to melt it good, and then open the plyers. The elasticity of the sleeving will spring it open if you move fast enough, and you will end up with a perfectly melted, no fraying end for your sleeve.

My only gripe about the kits you can buy online is that they NEVER come with enough heatshrink, or too much of one size not enough of another. So if you buy a kit, make sure you buy some extra 1/2"-1/4" size heatshrink....you will use it.

I just finished sleeving a new comp for a friend of mine, and as usual I forget to take some project pics. D'oh! Used some pink/red UV reactive sleeving from SVC.com and got some new UV reactive pink/red molex connectors to replace the ugly white ones. (Entire interior of case painted flat black) Put in a dual 12" UV CCFL and it looks WICKED sweet. SVC.com has some great stuff!

anybody notice we got on the main page? lol

Nomad said:
Let me know what you guys think?

IMG_5076.jpg

thats pretty sweet, i like the overal look of it. way better than my current "electrical tape mock up of sleeving"
:p

[H]alcyon441 said:
whoa im tempted in ordering that 9.99 pack of female/male/atx power molexes.
xoxide a respectable place to order from?

elfletcho: great post, thanks for the tips/tricks. i dont have a propane torch or heat gun, will a lighter and a hairdryer work ok? lol

Nomad, that looks pretty sweet, and has the added benefit of not needing to buy a molex remover!

Now if only they carried other colors than orange and pink...

Bad_Boy said:
whoa im tempted in ordering that 9.99 pack of female/male/atx power molexes.
xoxide a respectable place to order from?

I have ordered from xoxide before and they are legit. I've ordered the molex kit. As soon as I get it installed I'll post some pics and let everyone know what I think.

[H]alcyon441 said:
I have ordered from xoxide before and they are legit. I've ordered the molex kit. As soon as I get it installed I'll post some pics and let everyone know what I think.
sweet, looking forward to that :D

Good luck performing that sleeving mod. The one thing that I hate about sleeving is removing the Molex connectors. I bent the pins so many times on a couple of the connectors on my PSU that I was afraid that they were going to break off.

Take your time and be patient.

Nomad said:
I wrote this up a while ago for overclockers.com, but I have done it like 4 times since.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1154/

Nutshell: sleeve your power supply for less than $10 and in 30 minutes.....

Let me know what you guys think?

That sounds like a very interesting method, I think I'm going to have to try that out.

Nomad said:
Good luck performing that sleeving mod. The one thing that I hate about sleeving is removing the Molex connectors. I bent the pins so many times on a couple of the connectors on my PSU that I was afraid that they were going to break off.

Take your time and be patient.

Shouldn't be a problem now that the molex removal tool is a must-have device. Thanks for the advice though.

[H]alcyon441 said:
Shouldn't be a problem now that the molex removal tool is a must-have device. Thanks for the advice though.
I have the universal molex removal tool from frozencpu.com.

Is still difficult.

that is crazy cool dude1!!!!1111

i wish i had brading skillz like that, lol

maybe one of my female friends can do it for me :)

Back