Should reservoirs be filled completely (as possible) when the rest of the system is air free or should they be not quite filled? I'm just getting a lot of turbulence in my Waterplant from my DD12V-D4 and was wondering about this.
You need some airspace as expansion room for your liquid. Water expands when it warms up, and a completely filled (cold) reservoir would overflow/burst when your system warms up. Reverse problem with a hermetically sealed and hot filled system, you're creating a vacuum when cooling, increasing cavitation or inviting leaks (most seals only like one direction, pressure or vacuum). So I'd leave about 10 % of your systems capacity in airspace to be on the save side.
If you have a problem with too much air entraining you could always fill the airspace with a ballon. All you need is something that can expand or compress, doesn't say anyway it has to be able to mix with the water.
Given that explanation, a t-line system would explode then also! I don't think that the temperature change in the coolant is enough to cause any real expansion that the elastisticity of the Tygon can't handle.
I think this res is just too small and/or designed improperly for the the flow rate of this pump. I had thrown a couple of extra barbs into a tennis ball tube that I had. The barbs were mounted on the side of the tube with one near the bottom and the other 2/3's of the way up the tube. I attached the return hose to the upper barb and the pump fill hose to the bottom. It bled the system of air in just a few minutes. I don't trust that thing for full time usage though.
I actually I have a smaller res from DD that I may put in to separtate the return line from the pump fill line which *should* alleviate my problem. Although dual Waterplants would look hella cool...
I cleared the problem. I bump started the pump with my server box power and forced the bubbles through the lines into the res. I then filled the res completely and cinched everything up. Now there's no bubbles in the thing. So much for the coolness factor of the vortex in the res!
I still think a dual cylinder res would look pretty sweet -- one res for the return and the other for the pump fill. Maybe I'll try it someday, who knows.