Porting phone # to AT&T = nightmare. Any suggestions?

kindasmart

[H]ard|Gawd
I'll try to keep this story semi-short. LOL.

Mom had a COX landline phone but she wanted to use her cell phone (on AT&T) instead. Contacted AT&T number porting center @ 888-898-7685 two weeks ago and initiated the phone number port. Checked AT&T port website and got the "port status: complete" message this past Friday. The phone number seems to have been ported correctly ...........except.......... when my pop calls the phone number (he's on a COX landline) the call does not route to the AT&T wireless number but goes to the old COX landline. I see his number on the caller-ID box I still have connected to the house phone jacks.

AT&T support, "Call COX and have then release number." COX support, "We do not have ownership of the number, Call AT&T." AT&T, "All good here call COX." COX support, "Nothing we can do phone # is registered as a Cingular (bought out by AT&T years ago) number. Your cox phone is disconnected and billing is terminated. Call AT&T for a routing/switching error".

Cox and AT&T say the routing/switching change should be near instantaneous, but, is there going to be some delay waiting for "buffers to clear and routing to propagate?"

Is it possible that my pop needs to reset his landline phone/router?

AAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111!!eleven11111!!!!!!!

Does anybody have a phone number for AT&T tech support (tier 2 or 3) that does not simply go to their call center in India? Not a language barrier but more of a, this don't "fit the script" type error. I do get transferred "up the food chain" there but not to anybody that can solve the problem.

Sorry that wasn't a short story.

Are there any other COX customers you know that could test?
If its truly only COX and no other providers that is routing the number to the land line then its definitely a COX setting/routing issue and not AT&T.
As you mentioned it may take some time/it is possible for the routing to expire internally after a unspecified period of time (should be less than a week, if that long)

Are there any other COX customers you know that could test?
If its truly only COX and no other providers that is routing the number to the land line then its definitely a COX setting/routing issue and not AT&T.
As you mentioned it may take some time/it is possible for the routing to expire internally after a unspecified period of time (should be less than a week, if that long)

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know anybody off the top of my head that's on a COX landline. How many people are on landlines now-a-days anyways? 0.00000000000000000000045% or something? LOL. What you said regarding my issue makes perfect sense, but COX swears up and down that that number is not in their system anymore. And it's a switch/routing issue with AT&T. But logically, if you are calling from a COX landline phone the first router/switch that that call will hit will be a COX router/switch. And the call is being routed back into their network. Sigh.

I'm hoping the routing/porting info will propagate through the COX network in a day or two.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Finally receiving calls from dad. Took the weekend + 3rd business day + two-weeks after initiating the number port from COX to AT&T to get phone number moved from the COX landline over to the AT&T cell phone.

If anybody is thinking of porting a phone number that's on a land line, give yourself plenty of time, at least 3 weeks, to ensure the port is successful, before you have to cancel said land line.

Back