Port Forwarding HELL!!!

Ashton

2[H]4U
Ok, this is fun. I have my desktop that needs ports open. Namely for an FTP server, HTTP server, and Torrent client.

Because I'm with Windstream, my DSL modem is also a router (despite having no extra ports) Speedstream 5200. From there, the connection enters my WiFi router, which is a Trendnet TEW-632BRP. Because it only has 4 ports, I THEN go into my Dlink 25-port Switch. Finally I reach my desktop.

I set up port forwarding on the modem/router (192.168.254.254)
which is forwarded to the WiFi Router (192.168.10.1 aka 192.168.254.2)
Which goes through the switch (I cannot find ANY means of accessing it directly, no IP, nothing)
which then forwards it to my desktop (192.168.10.103)

Alternately I have bypassed hte switch with a Wifi dongle and still no port forwarding.

I have even tried several different "dynamic DNS" programs

so far, the only things that can get through are logmein.com and MS Foldershare (which I assume somehow tunnel through instead of us port forwarding)

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

EDIT:
PROBLEM SOLVED! (SEE LAST POST)

Last edited:
I'm sorry you have a trendnet router, my condolences, but is there no way to set the DSL modem to "bridge mode?" I think thats what they call it.

I'm sorry you have a trendnet router, my condolences, but is there no way to set the DSL modem to "bridge mode?" I think thats what they call it.

I take it Trendnet's shit? I got it because it was $20 and 802.11n (I used to have several "N" cards, now they're all toast and I've gone wired everywhere 'cept my desktop so the "N" wireless doesnt help my "G" series laptops)

I've spent the last few weeks trying to set the N-router to bridge mode... I'll try that (posting before the fact because it's quite possible that when I turn off the modem's DHCP I will temporarily brick it and have to spend 15 minutes trying to reset it)

EDIT: I set it to "DHCP Relay" and put in the "relay IP" as my trendnet router (192.168.10.1) so far no change...

Ok, so I turned the modem to bridged mode, turned the Trendnet to WAN
and I completely lost my internet untill I hard-reset my modem.
(EDIT: and yes, I made sure my PPPoE settings were right on Trendnet)

As a simpler solution, if I were to simply run a second LAN cable and go from the modem to the switch then switch to the router, wouldn't that eliminate the problem? just port-forward from the modem to the modem's subnet? All that means is I have to get another small switch or another LAN cable and I dont have to worry about the WiFi router at all, right?

If you don't mind double NAT'ing....yeah it's possible. But YUCK..double NAT, performance loss, pain in the arse port forwarding, etc etc.

What steps did you take to configure the Speedstream to bridged mode? They're pretty simple, in the advanced location, PPP locatoin or something like that, you have that 3x radio button selection...each one expllained...select the one that says you'll do the PPPoE on your own PC/router.

If you don't mind double NAT'ing....yeah it's possible. But YUCK..double NAT, performance loss, pain in the arse port forwarding, etc etc.

What steps did you take to configure the Speedstream to bridged mode? They're pretty simple, in the advanced location, PPP locatoin or something like that, you have that 3x radio button selection...each one expllained...select the one that says you'll do the PPPoE on your own PC/router.

I already got double NAT (I just dont see the first one because the modem-router is only assigning an IP to the wireless-router) My modem is bing a PoS and dropping atleast 1x a day, seomtimes as much as 10x a day! I'm hoping I can get my ISP to replace it with a 2wire, which is Wifi + modem in one.

This is how I set up the bridge mode:
http://www.phoenixthesmeg.byethost16.com/howto/sss4200.html

I set up port forwarding on the modem/router (192.168.254.254)
which is forwarded to the WiFi Router (192.168.10.1 aka 192.168.254.2)
Which goes through the switch (I cannot find ANY means of accessing it directly, no IP, nothing)
which then forwards it to my desktop (192.168.10.103)

bolded may be your issue.

Your Trendnet router provides DHCP for your comptuers, correct?
If so, and it's not setup as just an AP, your desktop needs an IP from your Trendnet, which would be the 192.168.254.2-254 range.

Or.... on your Trendnet; disable DHCP, plug your Speedstrem into a LAN port on the Trendnet.

This essentially turns the Trendnet into nothing more than an AP, and you will not need to do any port forwarding on it.

As for your switch, it won't have any port forwarding. I'm sure it's a standard non-managed switch, so you don't need to do anything with it.

bolded may be your issue.
Your Trendnet router provides DHCP for your comptuers, correct?
If so, and it's not setup as just an AP, your desktop needs an IP from your Trendnet, which would be the 192.168.254.2-254 range.
Or.... on your Trendnet; disable DHCP, plug your Speedstrem into a LAN port on the Trendnet.
This essentially turns the Trendnet into nothing more than an AP, and you will not need to do any port forwarding on it.
As for your switch, it won't have any port forwarding. I'm sure it's a standard non-managed switch, so you don't need to do anything with it.

I tried this muleiple times and failed every time... I now know why. I was leaving my Speedstream plugged into the WAN port on my TRendnet, not a LAN port.

I will try this later tonight. Too many people on the LAN right now, but thanks!

Ewww...big step backwards....soon as I see those things I toss 'em in the trash. Much better off with Speedstream.
not to mention they fail more often.

Wow. I have a friend in town who's Speedstream was dropping like mad and when they gave him a 2Wire it solved the problem. I guess he just got lucky, I had no idea that 2wire was crap. Thanks for the warning!

I've used a number of cheap SpeedStream 4100's off eBay for AT&T/SBC DSL. They work well enough for everything I've tried to do, and they're easily set to bridge mode, while still doing PPPoE. This results in outputting plain old "Ethernet internet" like most cable modems do. Your router picks up the public IP and can do whatever it needs to.

Looking at the 5200 User Guide, it looks like you should be able to use the RFC-2684 Bridged settings to make the SpeedStream act like just a dumb modem with PPPoE. If you can get your modem to just be a modem, it will make life so much easier, even if your main router isn't the greatest.

I tried this muleiple times and failed every time... I now know why. I was leaving my Speedstream plugged into the WAN port on my TRendnet, not a LAN port.

I will try this later tonight. Too many people on the LAN right now, but thanks!

Wow. I have a friend in town who's Speedstream was dropping like mad and when they gave him a 2Wire it solved the problem. I guess he just got lucky, I had no idea that 2wire was crap. Thanks for the warning!

Speedstreams are better usually I think, hes must of been deffective. Yeah 2wires are shit. I see people daily who come to where I work needind a new DSL modem because thier 2wire is either broken or messed up in some way and since AT&T charges you for modems they'd rather buy it at frys than wait for shipping. Thats why I stick with TWC, if the modem ever breaks (and I've had mine hit by lightning that hit my house), they give us a new one for free.

FINALLY GOT IT!

I was playing around and I finally realized what I Was missing! I gave the router a STATIC IP _Before_ I turned off it's DHCP server, then I turned off DHCP and moved my WAN over to a LAN port and it finally works! My Modem is handing out IP addresses and the whole house is on the same subnet! Finally was able to open up outside ports for my verious applications!

Thank you all for your help!

Back