Poor downstream signals, whats the deal?

Over the past month, I've been getting some seriously poor downstream signals. I called up comcast and had a tech down to take a look at it. Of course, during the hour he was here the line was as perfect as it ever was. He replaced my docsis2 modem with a arris docsis3 modem and left. I've got 1 clean line coming from the hub outside, directly into the house. The only split in the line is in the cable box, thats connected with a coupler. Is this possible to fix myself, or is it a problem with the entire node. I assume its from the cold weather, but i thought comcast had something in place to boost the signals in the event of cold weather. Heres the screencap from my modem.

11t9ybr.jpg

As you can see 1 and 4 are the problem. Any cable guru's to shed some light on me?

In my experience with cable companies the threshold for proper signal is between +5 dBmV and -10 dBmV. However, I have always seen speed degradation once it gets below -5 dBmV.

It is most likely a problem with the tap you are on or with the cable running to your house. How new is it? Is it RG59 or RG6? Had you looked at your signal prior to the problem starting? Is it only during certain times?

We've got a cable buried outside leading to the box which is that orange RG-6 stuff. Wired in the house we've got regular RG-6. It's about 4 years old now, but it was put in when the house was built. During the day the connection is relativly fine and sits about -5dBmV. When the tempertures drop late night and early morning thats when the connection drops to -10 and becomes unusable. I assume its from the cold weather, since it's been getting to below freezing at night. When the tech came he inspected the tap outside and he said it was fine. Since i'm pretty much the only person around here surfing the net at 2am no one else claims to have a problem. I'm uploaded a pic below to give you an idea of what the connection is like during the day.

29kx2co.jpg

Yeah, that is a much more reasonable signal. So this is the first cold season that this has happened? How good are you at scripting? Pull results every 10-15 minutes for several days and show them the repeated slow downs.

I do believe this is the first cold season this happened. I'll start grabbing data and shoot them an e-mail about it.

Back