Polk R50s....????

shizdan

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Messages
1,056
I am wondering if i should upgrade to these for $150 for a new pair

My system right now is
-Marantz Sr4400 Receiver
-Energy C-50 bookshelf speakers
-Energy ESW-8
 
Personally I'd keep what you have.

Since you have a subwoofer, you're not really missing out on anything.
 
Fry's sells them for like $60/each, however, I'd say they aren't worth the money.

I got the Infinity P362s from Fry's instead ($120/each~) and they're MUCH better.
 
Another vote for the infinities. They are an amazing pair. Especially when you can snag them when Fry's is running a deal on them.
 
Yeah, even in the Polk Audio forums, we barely even mention that Polk has a entry level speaker line. I wouldn't grab Polk speaker unless you're at least willing to drop $1K on speakers and amps.
 
I will say upfront that audio is not my strong point. With that said I purchased a pair of T90e's from Newegg for around 112 a speaker (currently like 150 each) and they sound unbelievably good. Would highly recommend them
 
The T90e should do better with mids. The R50's build remind me of my old Sony mains. Fairly decent highs and clear lows, but the mids... wow. So lacking. It's sad. If you get a decent center channel speaker with the R50 (center with good mids), you should do well. Otherwise, you might be sad when those trumpets or acoustics guitar or piano starts playing.

Also, just wanted to note, neither of these will have particularly deep bass. But what you do hear should be pretty decent.
 
I was just going to use them for front surrounds for my tv for like my PS3 and Xbox 360...Right now Im using my crappy stock speakers
 
I was just going to use them for front surrounds for my tv for like my PS3 and Xbox 360...Right now Im using my crappy stock speakers

When I play my 360 and movies on my tv with those T90e's I hear things I never heard before. I do need to get a good sub because as stated above they are lacking there. I also purchased a Polk CS1 for my center and it makes just as big a diff if not more. I refuse to watch TV on my TV anymore and instead use the tuner in my computer as its hooked up to the receiver. The sound is so clear its like they are talking right next to me
 
I love my r50's. I picked them up from frys awhile back. I came from a HTIB setup. So I'm still running on a very crummy receiver. However, even on this receiver I think they sound amazing for their price. If you don't have a big room I'd say go for the r50s. Especially if you don't want to spend over 150 dollars.
 
Back
Top