• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Points down - mowers in the RVM ...

Haitch

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 8, 2011
Messages
383
Moved into a new apartment a couple of weeks ago, finally went to get the dual hex opteron fired up again .... something does not sound right, so it's powered off again :mad:

At least one of the fans got screwed in the moving process - I was laid out with two fractured vertebrae and totally screwed on painkillers and muscle relaxants, so some friends moved my stuff for me, it didn't get moved the way I would have done it - but oh well, I had to move and they did it for me when I couldn't, so no complaints from me.

Not going to fire up the others until I've checked them out - can't even look at maintenance at least until next week - so low PPD for a while. And to top it off, one of the exhaust fans on my day to day rig just failed today .... when it rains it pours.

Hope to have the mini farm up and running again before I get mowed - but if you guys in the rear view mirror mow me - at least do it gently .....

Thanks :D

H.
 
Someone might have an extra fan or two to help get the farm up.

I know I have some extra basic coolermaster fans if you want 'em.
 
Thanks Kendrak -

it's just lack of time at the moment, I'm about to head out of town for a few days. What I really would appreciate is peoples opinions of high efficiency, low DB fans. My last apartment seemed to suck the sound out of the systems, this apartment my day to day unit seems like I have more fan noise now than I used to have from all four systems running....including the dual opteron that's all screwed up - it's got a couple of Noctura heat sink fans which always seemed quiet, but the case fans - one of them is vibrating - (and I wont mention the naked fan that had it's fan blade construction broken off .... ).

But it seems different room dimensions have really changed the noise level or perception of the fans ... I need quieter fans.

And more damn space - but that will come with time - I can't even see my floor to organize anything at the moment ...and I have to give her car back to the finance company ( she had so little equity in the car that it would cost me more to refinance it than it originally cost her ) and have to figure out where I'm putting all the stuff I was storing there .....

Everything is just a mess at the moment - but will figure it out.

Thanks for the offer !!

H.
 
peoples opinions of high efficiency, low DB fans.
H.


I like Yate Loon. I prefer the 140mm over the 120mm because they push more air and they are quieter.

The Noctuas I have on my 2600K are very quiet, but more expensive.

Sorry to hear about your loss.
 
Gentle Typhoons are my all around favorite and will last forever, although you will pay for the priviledge.
http://www.aquatuning.us/product_in...le-Typhoon-Fan-1450-rpm---120x120x25mm--.html
or
http://www.aquatuning.us/product_in...le-Typhoon-Fan-1850-rpm---120x120x25mm--.html


For more budget offerings, the 38mm thick yate loon 1350rpm fans from jab-tech are only 7 bucks, pretty quiet and still move good air.
http://jab-tech.com/Yate-Loon-120-x-38mm-D1SL-12D-pr-4335.html


If you want silence above all else, I have had good luck with the Arctic Cooling PWM fans you can get from newegg and the Cougar fans are supposed to be good as well. Both of the come with higher end bearings and should last a good long while even if they aren't as overbuilt as the Gentle Typhoons.
http://jab-tech.com/Arctic-Cooling-Arctic-ACF12-Pro-Pwm-120mm-Fan-pr-4596.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186033
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553001

I wouldn't run Noctuas in any scenario, I have moral objections to overpriced feces-colored fans that don't move any air. ;)
 
Last edited:
if it makes you feel better bro, my machine is down again due to a bad circuit in my office. Have an electrician coming next week to dedicate a circuit for me and fix the other circuit, so I will have 2 in my office now ;)
 
R-Type,

Thanks for the links. Ended up trying out the Cougars, definitely quiet, don't seem to push as much air as I expected - but after replacing one dead and one dying fan with the Cougars, under load temps are way down from what they were.

Also got the dual hex transferred to a new case, up and running again. Not going to prevent me getting mowed, but will put it off for a while. (Be gentle guys ...... :eek: )

H.
 
R-Type,

Thanks for the links. Ended up trying out the Cougars, definitely quiet, don't seem to push as much air as I expected - but after replacing one dead and one dying fan with the Cougars, under load temps are way down from what they were.

Also got the dual hex transferred to a new case, up and running again. Not going to prevent me getting mowed, but will put it off for a while. (Be gentle guys ...... :eek: )

H.
Glad to be of help. :)
 
Back
Top