Pointing yagi antenna at wifi camera?

tucansam

n00b
Not really sure where to post this, but I have a question.

If I have a wireless IP camera (let's assume with an internal, non-upgradable antenna), can I point a highly directional yagi at it to extend range? I know a pair of directionals aimed at each other would be ideal, but the cameras I am looking at have internal only antennas. I'm looking for 1-2km range.

Thanks.

The camera most likely has an omni so it wouldn't be able to send any data back. I'd use two nanostation locos if you have a clear line of sight.

I had originally planned on using two Nano Ms, but cost has become an issue. If I have a camera *with* a removable antenna, I can use two cheap $25 (or even homemade) yagi's..... just not sure if the range would be there. I know the Nanos are high power. Not sure if low power + yagi's would be enough.

Parabolic has more gain and tighter beamwidth than yagi and are easy to build at these freq's.
Just a thought.
Anyhoo, without more specifics like distance, db gain of the antennas etc. etc. would be tough to say.
Even with the info the answer would only be theoretical, until you tried it.
So, is it possible just to try it. Maybe set everything up at the park with the same distance and roughly same conditions and see if you get enough signal?

Ahh.. I read better this time. So your looking for answer before you buy.
Hmmm... 1-2 km.
Clear line of site?

Good call on the parabolic. I'd like to get theory as certain as possible before I start buying parts, only to find that it doesn't work. I appreciate the replies guys. I had planned on testing this in an open field (this project is for a target camera so LOS will never be a problem, just distance). Might be that a pair of Nano M's would be cheaper in the long run, since I know for a fact it will work, vs trying to figure out what parts work only to have some fail.

Good call on the parabolic. I'd like to get theory as certain as possible before I start buying parts, only to find that it doesn't work. I appreciate the replies guys. I had planned on testing this in an open field (this project is for a target camera so LOS will never be a problem, just distance). Might be that a pair of Nano M's would be cheaper in the long run, since I know for a fact it will work, vs trying to figure out what parts work only to have some fail.

Elevation is going to be a problem. At 2km with 2.4ghz, the radius of your fresnel zone is going to be about 27 feet. This means that your radios need to be a minimum of 27 feet off the ground on each end, assuming that the land is perfectly flat between the two points. If there are any obstructions along the path, you will need to raise both ends to the height of the obstruction + 27 feet.

At 5ghz the radius of the fresnel zone is 19 feet. You can generally get away with 60 - 80% fresnel zone clearance, but the 27' and 19' numbers are what you need for 100% unobstructed signal.

If theres nothing else out there, you could probably get away with a pair of nanostations on the cheap. I would recommend a pair of NanoBeams though.

Back