Plugging wireless router into wired router?

SKYflyer

n00b
I just got a laptop, so obviously I want to have wireless internet all around the house. Our current internet setup in the house is all the computers have wired connections to a wired router, so it seems that I need to purchase a wireless router.

Question: is it possible to simply plug the new wireless router into the wired router that we already have, thus enabling us to use the wired router for our desktops in the house, and the wireless router will provide my laptop wireless internet access? Are there any problems that would arise from doing this? One problem that I could forsee is opening ports from the wireless connection on my laptop. If I need to open a port, I suppose I would first have to open it on the wireless router from my laptop, and then I would need to go to one of the wired desktop computers to open the same port on the wired router. Am I correct in this analysis?

I guess another option would be to purchase a wireless router that is also a wired router. I don't know if these exist though, hehe. Then we could simply replace our current wired router with a single new wired and wireless router. Which option is best?

Pretty much all of the wireless routers have 4 ethernet ports in the back for hooking pcs in. The only reason to use 2 routers would be if you want the wireless to have nothing to do with the wired side. Another option if you have an extra port on the router would be to get an access point.

Just replace the wired router with the wireless one.

If that is not an option then get a wireless access point and plug it into you r existing router.

ok, so what would be better: to get an access point and plug it into the wired router, or should I get a wireless router that has wired ports also and simply replace the wired router with it? Also please explain why one is a better choice than the other.

SKYflyer said:
ok, so what would be better: to get an access point and plug it into the wired router, or should I get a wireless router that has wired ports also and simply replace the wired router with it? Also please explain why one is a better choice than the other.

The access point would be a little easer as you don't need to resetup the main router which could mean calling the provider to reset a forgot ppoe password, writing down the mac off the old router and typing it into the new one etc depending on the type of internet connection. The thing with a wireless router is that they can be cheaper then the access point and is a single peice of hardware.

Go with a wireless router

a) It is cheaper to replace the unit with a wireless router. Access points cost more (demand/supply=price... routers sell better).

b) You only have to program one device instead of two

c) You will also save a wired port with the wireless built in.

d) When your wireless says it is connected but you cannot get to the Internet then you don't have to smack other family members for unplugging the access point. Also it only takes 1 electrical plug.

e) It is endorsed by the Presidential Council on Fitness and Sports for kids, teens, adults and seniors. Ok you got me. I was just making sure you were reading all this :p

Bean Dip said:
e) It is endorsed by the Presidential Council on Fitness and Sports for kids, teens, adults and seniors. Ok you got me. I was just making sure you were reading all this :p

Nice

Back