Please advise me on cat5 installation tools

the Jones

Weaksauce
Hi,
Recently I've been trying to run some cable in my house (several hundred feet). In the process of doing this I've been looking for some decent crimping/punchdown/stripping tools. From what I've heard AMP and GMP make the best ethernet crimpers, but I'm not sure about the different types of plugs. Are AMP plugs different from other types of rj45 plugs? Will AMP dies crimp standard plugs?

Basically, I would like some advice on quality tools that will last me a long time. I don't mind paying extra to get some good tools, I'm just not sure what I need. If anyone knows of a good guide that discusses the pros and cons of cable type and the different plug styles it would be great if you could post a link.

Thanks,
the Jones

Well, personally I like the IDEAL "Telemaster" (Cat. No. 30-496) crimping tool I purchased from Home Depot. It will crimp any standard RJ-45 and RJ-11 connector as well as cut/strip for you. They retail for about $35-40 and this one has lasted me quite a while now.

And while some brands of auto-crimpers and such might save you a little time, if they ever go under you're stuck with a useless tool. Better to go with something that you can use wherever you go and whatever store's around the corner. =)

I agree the IDEAL Telemaster is a great crimper for both RJ-45 & RJ-11 and the price is right as well.

niccoli said:
I agree the IDEAL Telemaster is a great crimper for both RJ-45 & RJ-11 and the price is right as well.

Quoted for the truth.

I'm not sure if the IDEAL Telemaster is a racheting type crimper. Having a ratcheting one is MUCH easier and saves time.

Ideal Telemaster is not ratcheting style. Having said that, I have worn the print off the handles of mine, had it for 4+ years and use it at least twice a week. I like it a lot more then my AMP ratcheting one, although the ratchet adds torque.

mrbobo said:
I'm not sure if the IDEAL Telemaster is a racheting type crimper. Having a ratcheting one is MUCH easier and saves time.

its not, but its still a great tool for the price. If you spend the same amount on a racheting one you won't get a very good one, they tend to be more expensive

Back