Picking a new i* processor

carlmart

Gawd
Joined
Sep 17, 2006
Messages
691
I am assembling a new desktop system, on which I should be using a Giga Z77 mobo and 8Gb of Corsair Vengeance memory.

Until I had settled on an i5 3570K, but after reading a bit about i7 and Xeon processors, I wonder if I shouldn't get an i7 3770 or even a Xeon type.. even if on the latter I still don't know if it's worth the extra cost or which model to pick: Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge.

Some parameters:

1) I will not OC.

2) I need multithreading

3) I need multitasking

4) I do quite a bit of video processin

5) I will do editing with Avid Media Composer (though I do not need a dual Xeon mobo)

Which way to go? i5, i7 or Xeon?
 
I would go for the i7 3770. It has the hyperthreading, for multi tasking, and video processing. Since you will not OC, you dont need the K version. But if you want more HP, get the K, so you can multi task, and video process faster. I would get the i5 3570k, just for gaming.
 
Good, good.

From what I read, and I might have got it wrong, the K version was for OC, and OC might indeed affect video processing.

But OC is not recommended if you are going to edit video, particularly with Avid.

About gaming, I mostly play strategy games, so that shouldn't demand much, I think.

What about the Xeons? Can they improve on anything?
 
Not really, unless you're in need of some workstation and server features. Judging from your needs, you can just buy the 3770.
 
What's your budget. Will some extra cash the socket 2011 platform will allow you to invest in 6 cores with hyperthreading and extra ram slots.
 
What's your budget. Will some extra cash the socket 2011 platform will allow you to invest in 6 cores with hyperthreading and extra ram slots.

Provided his software of choice doesn't utilize quicksync or has issues with image quality.

OP, does that Avid program use quicksync? And if so, what's the image quality like?

It depends on the software, but if it makes good use of quicksync then a measly i3 can perform better than a $1000 2011 chip. Fixed-function units can make a huge difference provided they're utilized properly. Of course it's always better to go with CPU only, but some software responds very well to QS or even CUDA and openCL.
 
To start with my budget is limited, so I can't really stretch to a socket 2011 board or even a 6 core cpu.

About quicksync I don't even know what that is or if Avid MC uses it.

This will be a part time workstation, to work on my own projects, which even if ambitious will still be limited on my demands from the processing machine.

It seems the 3770 might serve me well enough.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top