physx and folding

T

techf1end

hey guys and gals this is my first thread on the site. hopefully i can contributed where i can :)

ok so i like to test things out and im always messin with my rig. i wanted to try out physx on my system with arkham city that i just bought. just to say ive done it even tho physx is becoming rarer in games. I also do some folding for seti@home and plan to do others and wanted to use my gtx 460 se since its just laying around. (plans for it later)

1. is my 800w psu enough? i did a psu calculator to get an idea of how much power i need and i think i am good but wanted a second opinion.

2. i do play bf3 often so what will the dedicated physx cards do to performance of bf3

thanks in advanced for the help

1. Yes, but its close. I'd say 800w is the minimum.

2. Nothing.

Also, without hacked drivers, physx won't even work with an AMD main video card.

1. Yes, but its close. I'd say 800w is the minimum.

2. Nothing.

Also, without hacked drivers, physx won't even work with an AMD main video card.

thanks for the quick reply, yeah the psu calc was at like 757w but i had it on dual 6970 since there was not an option for 7970

will the physx card hurt my performance at all on bf3. i saw a few people with trouble on other fourms but it was prob just a driver issue. yeah i heard i needed the hacked drivers thanks for the info

no physX won't hurt or benefit you in BF3. the card will just sit idle. heck you could just leave it folding there while you played BF3.

btw 800w is more then enough. considering 2 7970's in crossfire on [H]'s test system pulls under 600w at the wall. the 460 uses less power then the 7970 and the phenom II x6 overclocked still uses less power then the test system.

no physX won't hurt or benefit you in BF3. the card will just sit idle. heck you could just leave it folding there while you played BF3.

btw 800w is more then enough. considering 2 7970's in crossfire on [H]'s test system pulls under 600w at the wall. the 460 uses less power then the 7970 and the phenom II x6 overclocked still uses less power then the test system.

ok cool :cool:, i was hoping to have it fold while i was playing. also thanks for the heads up on the psu only downside i have now is to take out my asus wireless nic to do this. i at least have a wireless n usb stick for backup intill i upgrade to a board with more pcie slots since my beast of a gpu covers my 1x and 4x slots.

Back