Phone Maker HTC Sued By Apple

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple has filed a lawsuit against HTC alleging the company is infringing on 20 patents related to the iPhone.

We can sit by and watch competitors steal our patented inventions, or we can do something about it. We've decided to do something about it," Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO, said Tuesday in a statement. "We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours.

Last edited:
"We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own technology, not steal ours"

They should heed their own advice. Apple doesn't make one original product.

I'm surprised Apple hasn't gone after all the assholes in the world as they seem to have a pantent on being assholes.

next, we'll hear about them suing a bunch of apple farms because their signs have the apple logo on them.

I'll wait and see what patents they are talking about before making a judgment.

I'm gonna guess it's the plethora of "signature" multitouch gestures that HTC has pretty blatantly stolen from the iPhone. Pinch, 2-finger swipe, etc.

I don't understand why people are so scared of google when apples is pulling crap like this all the time...

I'll wait and see what patents they are talking about before making a judgment.

I'm gonna guess it's the plethora of "signature" multitouch gestures that HTC has pretty blatantly stolen from the iPhone. Pinch, 2-finger swipe, etc.

Ya, but you can only have so many movemet combinations based on 1 or 2 fingers on a 2D surface.

Funny how everyone follows them...

"We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own technology, not steal ours"

They should heed their own advice. Apple doesn't make one original product.

It is only perceived that everyone follows them. That is the genius of their marketing.

Their case against MS a decade ago w.r.t. "MS copying Apples UI" was thrown out. it will happen again. infact that case will just get cited

Invalidating software patents would make sense. It would also make less money for lawyers - so it's never going to happen.

I thought I couldn't like apple any less.
The irony in the 1984 commercial is hilarious now or will be.

Well they need to try and get more revenue if their iPad sales become a bloody disaster.

I don't understand why people are so scared of google when apples is pulling crap like this all the time...

Apple is a wealthy but relatively small for profit company (ab)using the law to protect its property. Google is a creepy mega-giant that aggregates and meta-connects the personal information of everybody who uses its products. In what way is Apple's aggresive litigiousness related to what Google does?

Heres the patents courtesy of AppleInsider

Update: Revealed in the lawsuit are the patents in question. They are entitled:
"Time-Based, Non-Constant Translation Of User Interface Objects Between States"
"Touch Screen Device, Method, And Graphical User Interface For Determining Commands By Applying Heuristics"
"Unlocking A Device By Performing Gestures On An Unlock Image"
"List Scrolling And Document Translation, Scaling, And Rotation On A Touch-Screen Display"
"System And Method For Managing Power Conditions Within A Digital Camera Device"
"Automated Response To And Sensing Of User Activity In Portable Devices"
"GMSK Signal Processors For Improved Communications Capacity And Quality"
"Conserving Power By Reducing Voltage Supplied To An Instruction-Processing Portion Of A Processor"
"Object-Oriented Graphic System"
"Object-Oriented Event Notification System With Listener Registration Of Both Interests And Methods"

Just wow...

"Touch Screen Device, Method, And Graphical User Interface For Determining Commands By Applying Heuristics"
"List Scrolling And Document Translation, Scaling, And Rotation On A Touch-Screen Display"
"System And Method For Managing Power Conditions Within A Digital Camera Device"
"Conserving Power By Reducing Voltage Supplied To An Instruction-Processing Portion Of A Processor"
"Object-Oriented Event Notification System With Listener Registration Of Both Interests And Methods"

Just wow...

Lol, why isn't "System for making phone-calls." on there? What, Apple invented that too, right?

Just wow...
Yeah lets see - Android does the unlock one.. guess they don't want to fuck with google laywers?

Rotation of touch screen display was on tablets prior to iPhone - so dell should sue them.
Battery usage meter in a camera? Nikon and Canon can now sue them.
Automated response to sensing user activity in devices - Pretty sure this opens them up to counter suit from many companies.
XX Processor for improved comms capacity and quality? .. Right.. makes little sense to restrict advanced hardware types due to someones bs "patent"

Reducing voltage to a processor? Guess they'll have fun opening themselves to lawsuit from Intel and possibly AMD.

OO graphics UI? LOL laughable.
The last one is purely bullshit they stole this from fucking blackberry.

Seriously. Apple needs to get a good swift mega counter suit filed against them.

If there weren't so many interdependencies between large companies I could see a few of them getting together to gangbang apple in court.

I guess when your revenue sucks from no one buying your shit overpriced products you gotta sue your way into profits lol

I can't wait till Apple gets too puffed up with pride and tries to go up against Google.
World War 3 right there haha

Just wow...

Apple is suing them for making a phone? Adam and Eve should sue Apple since they where apparently the first to take a bit out of an apple.

Invalidating software patents would make sense. It would also make less money for lawyers - so it's never going to happen.

Lawl. Yeah, it's the lawyers who want software patents. Not like the companies that spend the time and money developing the programs want to see a return on their investment. :rolleyes:

Lawl. Yeah, it's the lawyers who want software patents. Not like the companies that spend the time and money developing the programs want to see a return on their investment. :rolleyes:

What most people get pissed with Apple for is their mass application sfor broad ranging patents that are covering things that have already been developed. Graphical Object User Interface. Hi Xerox PARC, or any other GUI on the planet.

For a company that liberals and anti-capitalist love, it's a very capitalistic/conservative company.

What most people get pissed with Apple for is their mass application sfor broad ranging patents that are covering things that have already been developed. Graphical Object User Interface. Hi Xerox PARC, or any other GUI on the planet.

For a company that liberals and anti-capitalist love, it's a very capitalistic/conservative company.

I'm pretty sure Apple's a theocracy, not a capitalist democracy.

It is only perceived that everyone follows them. That is the genius of their marketing.

no it isnt, people really do follow them, talk to most people who own an apple computer or apple product and they think they are the 2nd coming of christ in the technology world and think they are saving the environment and the world at the same time.

no it isnt, people really do follow them, talk to most people who own an apple computer or apple product and they think they are the 2nd coming of christ in the technology world and think they are saving the environment and the world at the same time.

Then try to tell that person about all the shit things Apple does & they get all pissed ending up in a state of denial lol

Isn't HTC mainly a hardware manufacturer? So, if this isn't about software, such as multi-touch, then what hardware could HTC have copied?

Last I checked, HTC uses Windows Mobile and Android. They do make some applications, but I doubt that could be it.

Isn't HTC mainly a hardware manufacturer? So, if this isn't about software, such as multi-touch, then what hardware could HTC have copied?

Last I checked, HTC uses Windows Mobile and Android. They do make some applications, but I doubt that could be it.

You need the right hardware to make multitouch work. You can't just write a software and magically make a screen multitouch capable.

Just wow...

Yep, this is why the last Apple item I bought (and it was used) was a 4g iPod because the radio in my car has a direct interface with it. Never will I buy a new Apple product, let someone else pay overprice for an Apple product.

I will continue to buy HTC products for as long as they are in business because they simply fucken rock. My TP2 and Diamond are great phones and I would not trade them for an iPhone any day. Everyone I know has an iPhone and everyone I see around has an iPhone. The hell with the sheeple and the hell with Jobs. Jobs is just as he was back in the 80's, an asshole. Now he is just an older asshole.....

I think that is what Apple/Jobs are suing HTC for, the way the software interacts with the user and hardware.... Could be wrong. All I can say is how the fuck is the user suppose to use the phone if they cannot interact with it.....

Not that the rest aren't equally bad, but this one is so slick it's sleazy.
It means they can sue anyone who makes something with a touchscreen that locks and uses any touchscreen motion other than a single tap to unlock it.

Heck... maybe they'll be able to sue MS for Windows 7 and it's touchscreen interface. :rolleyes: Does it use a non-tap motion to unlock the machine?

I agree with you. 90% of these Apple patent fights are bullshit, especially when they outright stole large chunks of what they make themselves. However, this idea that we should eliminate software patents, or that it's "the lawyers" who want software patents, is retarded.

Back