• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Phenom 955 > i5 2400s... sidegrade?

rodneycubed

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 30, 2007
Messages
184
I just procured an i5 2400s on craigslist for $80, I was wondering how much of an improvement (if any would I see over my current system)

Specs:

phenom 955 @3.8ghz
8gb ddr3
2x 6970
w/ 3 montors @1920x1200

Also, what would be a good motherboard to pair with this? I understand that it is not a good overclocker, but I figured I could use this as an entry into Ivy. Any comments/suggestions are welcome.
 
Not sure how high the multiplier for the 2400s is, but I think you can force it to run at 3.3 or so. At 3.3, it will outperform your 955 at 3.8, so it's an upgrade. As for how much of an upgrade you'll see, it depends on the games you're playing. Honestly, with the setup you have, I would just go to the 2500k, or wait for Piledriver/ivy bridge.
 
You will definitely see a nice boost in games. I had the same proc with 6850's and it helped out the min frame rate in most of my games. Hell, the computer just feels smoother over all. I'm really impressed.
 
I just procured an i5 2400s on craigslist for $80, I was wondering how much of an improvement (if any would I see over my current system)

Specs:

phenom 955 @3.8ghz
8gb ddr3
2x 6970
w/ 3 montors @1920x1200

Also, what would be a good motherboard to pair with this? I understand that it is not a good overclocker, but I figured I could use this as an entry into Ivy. Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Your Phenom would perform like the 975 BE here. 2400 is right above it. 20 percent speed bump in CPU limited situations I'm guessing?
cinebench.gif
 
The 2500S would be a bit slower than the vanilla 2500, teletran8.
 
Back
Top