Pfsense, ipcop, etc...

Darakian

Supreme [H]ardness
Can any of these distributions set caps on how much bandwidth a given machine can use? Perhaps dropping their throughput after X gigs of transfer has occurred? I checked out the untangle, pftsense, and monowall sites but could not find anything like this.

I recall IPCop being able to ( you may need the QoS add-on package)...and I know PFSense can because I have mine set to cap the max rates up/down that the boys computer can consume.

Are you looking for a total bandwidth cap, or rate limiting? 'Sounds like you wan't both (#1, then after X Kb, #2). For that, I don't know of a firewall off hand.

I've managed to do it with pfsense before.. but you have to do a bit of work. I configured the box as a transparent firewall just for bandwidth monitoring/capping. I used the darkstat package to watch traffic totals per IP, and went through the bandwidth shaping wizard, and just modified the queues as needed. Just create an alias for those you want to cap, then you can change the queue that applies to that alias, and then no rule changes will even need to be applied. Only one edit to raise or lower bandwidth amount for different aliases.

Runs great on some old hardware, haven't had a problem since installing it on a 30 person network.

I can post some of the configuration if you need it.

Back