pfSense back up and running with 2.0

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
I finally got around to installing my Kingston SSD from an RMA i got back almost a month ago. I have been really lazy and never had the motivation to get this box up and running again until pfSense 2.0 was released this past week.

SPECS:

- Kingston SSD 16GB Hard Drive SSDNOW100
- SUPERMICRO MBD-X7SPA-HF-O Dual Core Atom510 Processor
- Kingston 2GB RAM
- PICO 150W PSU with Power Adapter
- MINI-BOX M350 PC Case (Black Version)
- VESA Mounting screws for Mini-box case. (You can attach it to the back of a monitor)

tgT6f.jpg

JwdkA.jpg

dYX4j.jpg

oQU5G.jpg

mVvtl.jpg

mgjLk.jpg

DwqgB.jpg

RFjvt.jpg

4C0zE.jpg

BTBwQ.jpg

AB3gA.jpg

Last edited:
I want to build a pfsense box like this eventually as well. I was thinking of doing a micro atx with one of the new sandy bridge pentiums or celerons and 2 intel NICs. It would have similar power consumption, but way more powerful. Do you think there would be any difference at all between ITX and MATX power wise?

I might just grab a Asus RT-N66U when it comes out though as well.

What kind of bandwidth are you pushing to even consider using a SB?

Not a lot, just a WHS box. Do some research on atoms vs the i3 2100 and you will see that that idle numbers are almost identical. The new pentiums/celerons use a little less than that even.

Next factor cost into it. I can get a pentium and motherboard for nearly the same price as the atom solutions. I can also use a case I already have, and some of the atoms take ddr2 which I don't have anymore.

I'll be reinstalling this weekend. In place upgrade broke country block :mad:

I'll be reinstalling this weekend. In place upgrade broke country block :mad:

I thought I was the only one that got that setback during the upgrade. :eek: Additionally, there's some fatal error every now and again. *sigh* Time to get a new router box.

The setup looks great AMD; very neat.

I use that case for my XBMC box, it's awesome. If I hadn't discovered Mikrotik I would have done the same thing as you, running pfSense virtually worked well until you have to reboot the host. Question, why use an SSD instead of a USB stick? That case has a two internal usb ports.

Also, if you have some time to kill one day and feel like experimenting, give Astaro a try, it's very nice. Not necessarily better than pfSense, but the UI is sweet.

Because his SSD is only 16GB. What else would that be used for? Photoshop Cache drive?

I thought I was the only one that got that setback during the upgrade. :eek: Additionally, there's some fatal error every now and again. *sigh* Time to get a new router box.

The setup looks great AMD; very neat.

I never had any luck with the in place upgrades through the entire beta period. Of the peole who never had problems I wonder what packages they run.

Back