pfsense and WiFI

Orddie

2[H]4U
Hey all,

No one on the pfsense forums is talking about which cards really work so that brings my question here.

I'm looking to power down my WiFI router and bring all traffic through pfsense. The general gist of the pfsense forums says I should get a card that uses a Atheros chipset.

Does anyone use a wireless card to create a WiFI network with pfsense and if so... which card?

I have not tried wireless directly on pfsense, but have you seen this?
http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Supported_Wireless_Cards

Alternatively, you could configure your current wireless router as an AP and route through a secondary interface on the pfsense host.

Hey,

I did have a look over there. I'm using pfsense 2 in Vmware on a VT-d board. I'm thinking PCI / USB pass through to pfsense.

There is an excel document listed for hardware network cards but it only talks about chipsets. I'm a little lost...

As for linking the wireless AP through pfsense in another network card... that's how it is now. Was looking for a less power consumption solution and more important.. free a plug.

I think that's the document i have looked at before. When viewing it on my iphone all i see is chipset information and not model numbers of network cards.

Does it view differently on a computer?

I've used Ra-Link based cards in my PFsense box before. The GUI is still in it's infancy through.

Try not looking at it on your phone. Theres two tabs. 2nd tab shows the model numbers.

Alternatively, you could configure your current wireless router as an AP and route through a secondary interface on the pfsense host.

That's what I do at home, works great. Just set the router's IP to the same range as that interface and assign it a static, disable DHCP on the router as well. The router might complain about "no internet" because the uplink port wont be used, but you can just ignore that. Mine has a globe light that is red all the time.

i bought a tp-linnk tl-wn321g adapter. It's USB and it working rather well. Can still stream youtube and VoIP (not expecting to do both @ once) without issues.

Back