• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

PERC6/e with SAS Expander setup

Joined
Jun 2, 2008
Messages
6
Hi Gents,

I have two PERC6/e's and I'm looking to expand my array with another 24 drives. Now, it would seem that I have some options, but I'm slightly confused and don't posess all the knowledge I would like before going out and purchasing more equipment. I would like to utilize my cards to their full extent, hence me wanting an SAS expander setup. I will be using SATA drives if that is of importance to my setup.

My first thought was going for the Supermicro CSE-846TQ-R900B - relatively inexpensive at $1100. The question I need to confirm is simple: will I need a separate card as a SAS expander to use my PERC6 to control the drives? If so, which SAS expanders work with the PERC6/e?

My new thought, after some searching, was to go with the Supermicro 846E1-R900B - slightly more expensive at $1250, but it comes with the SAS expander onboard (or so I am led to believe). My question is this: does having the "Single input/output SFF 8087 connectors" mean I need to get a single SFF 8087 to SFF 8088 converter (either Supermicro's recommended one or 3rd party one) to see all 24 drives in the Single Host Bus Adapter setting, or will I need both connections from my PERC6/e to see all the drives? In addition, would I be wise to configure it as Single Host Bus Adapter Failover or Dual Host Bus Adapter Failover, and how many of my PERC6/e ports would I need (2 SFF 8088 connections from a single card, or 4 SFF 8088 connections from both cards)?

My last thought is upgrading to something like a H700 card (I saw some on eBay for $350), and using it with a cheaper case to do everything internally in one 4U rackmount.

Thanks for any feedback!
 
Last edited:
You would use a single cable to connect your PERC 6/E to the SuperMicro JBOD. I recommend the 846E1-R900B. Use the SM recommended SFF-8087 to SFF-8088 adapter and also their power board. The power board will enable you to turn on the JBOD from the front panel controls. Its $29.

To do a failover setup, you'd need 2 PERC 6/Es and the 846E2-R900B. This only works with SAS drives as SATA drives are not dual ported.
 
Back
Top