Pending Headphone amp arrival.. :)

HyperTension

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 23, 2002
Messages
1,220
As of this second...


Mar 7, 2007, 8:30 AM: On FedEx vehicle for delivery. STEVENSVILLE, MI
8:28 AM: At local FedEx facility. STEVENSVILLE, MI
6:52 AM: At dest sort facility. SOUTH BEND, IN
3:42 AM: Departed FedEx location, MEMPHIS, TN
12:49 AM: Arrived at FedEx location, MEMPHIS, TN

Mar 6, 2007, 6:57 PM: Left origin, BELGRADE, MT
5:16 PM: Package data transmitted to FedEx
5:04 PM: Picked up


Headphone Amp: Headroom Micro Amp, with desktop Module, and a Cardas 12 inch Mini to Mini cable to connect my X-Fi Plat to the Micro and then to my DT770 Pro (250 ohm)

I really like the sound so far, however the heavy bass overrides the mid, and the highs are really tinny. The deck has minimal ability to drive these headphones (base and low-end mid are sloppy at medium volume (>50 - 60% up). I've been "burning" these in with some pink noise, and maybe for a cumulative total of 17 hours or so it seems to be a little bit better. I'm really hoping that with this amp I'll be able to drive these can a lot more efficiently for improved sound production.

My previous headphones were the Altec Lansing Headphone Speakers AHS602 1Piece SRS 3D Audio Gaming Headset, and after 4 weeks the boom mic died. That was the start off this process. I'm curious what the next step will be... :D

Any opinions or suggestions on setup, settings, or just general stuff is welcome and encouraged.

Thanks, Chris
 
Wow.. Holy shit....

Wow........

OMFG, I never that music was supposed to sound like this on a set of cans.. WOW....

Very well set in 2 different boxes, with the internal one being for return, as well as the necessary forms. Very secure, nothing loose. Very nice initial presentation.

The amp itself is matte black, with hex screws securing the front display, as thumb screws that secure the back. The back plate is light aluminium with a removable rubber seal, and supports 2 9v. batteries for portable use.

I'm using a Cardas mini to connect the front X-Fi out to the input for the amp. Wow.. I'm not sure if these headphones need further breaking in, but they will have it.

So far, I absolutely recommend these to those who need to have additional "umph" carried to their headphones.
 
Yea.. as far as gaming, these headphones absolutely impress me. Music rendition is a HUGE step forward, but the Mids are slightly muffled, and the high ends can almost be painful.. Doing a lot of tweeking in the EQ to minimize this without flattening out my midrange.

Sigh.. already thinking about stepping up the amp to the desktop, with a separate DAQ. Should that path be taken, how difficult is it to switch between my X-Fi for gaming, and then back to the other DAQ for the rest of the sound?

**Warning** More questions will follow after this.. I sense them... ;)
 
damn..nice..how much was the amp?

Amp ran approx $299, and I increased shipping to overnight (couldn't wait, and neither could my wallet). So far, I am very impressed with it can do. Granted, my nub'ness is just filling this thread, but that SHOULD improve. :)

Spoke to 2 different tech gents there, and both stated that I can "set up" the amp if needed, and were very informative, and easy to talk to.

:) Both warned me about their Desktop line, and If I ever went to that level, be prepared.

My wallet cried, and I think I have a voicemail from Fifth Third warning me as well :)
 
Yea.. as far as gaming, these headphones absolutely impress me. Music rendition is a HUGE step forward, but the Mids are slightly muffled, and the high ends can almost be painful.. Doing a lot of tweeking in the EQ to minimize this without flattening out my midrange.

Sigh.. already thinking about stepping up the amp to the desktop, with a separate DAQ. Should that path be taken, how difficult is it to switch between my X-Fi for gaming, and then back to the other DAQ for the rest of the sound?

**Warning** More questions will follow after this.. I sense them... ;)

I'm pretty sure you can just use the X-fi for the DSPs in combination with any dedicated DAC. The DSPs (I think) modify only digital (hence the name digital signal processor), which it then sends to the DAC.
 
So by using, I dunno, "Mini DAC", it will not interfere with using my x-fi as the primary sound source? It will be the primary driver?

OK, I warned ya all.. here comes the questions...
1) DAC (Digital Analog Converter).. will take the sound from my X-Fi, run it through the DAC, cleaning up the sound, from there to the amp.. then to headphones. What type of improvement will be noticed?

2) If an improvement will be marked, will the Desktop Amp, with the Home Module, and the Home DAC. be enough?

Wait.. whats the feeling.. OH, thats my wallet shuddering.. LOL... Keep up the opinions.. I'm just worried where this will lead.. :)
 
spending all that $$ and still having a 770 for your headphones doesn't make sense.

the 770 isn't a good enough headphone for those upgrades it is just too sharp in the highs, reccessed mids and bloated bass.

the Ultrasone 2500 or 750 would be a BIG step up in terms of SQ and they still have great bass so no worries there.
 
Not to sound retarded, but would be better to have a seperate set for gaming then? Spatially, these are incredible with gaming, which is my primary purpose, outside of studying, then it's music.

I would like to find a middle ground that will cover both aspects equally well.

Would a DAC provide a good measure up, this current setup or just be happy with where I am at, or something else?
 
Any that you recommend? Would sorta prefer them from HeadRoom, but you guys know more about this that what I do.
 
Headroom makes nice stuff no doubt. Their DAC is a good one. The desktop line is very good too. However, I would recommend getting another headphone for music and to save a bit of $$ try the Zhalou 2.5C DAC. It will work well for gaming b/c the soundstage is big and airy so you feel like you are outside.

Yes the 770 is fine for gaming. Which other headphone for music? That is really up to you but I dig the Ultrasones 750/2500 for the $$ but that is just me being a bit of a homer.
 
Back
Top