• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PCIe Compatibility Question

ethraax

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 11, 2008
Messages
174
Will a PCIe x8 card (in this case, a RAID controller) work in a PCIe x16 slot that's running in PCIe x4?

I ask because I'm looking to buy a RAID controller, but some of the higher end ones are PCIe x8 cards, and my motherboard (Gigabyte P55A UD3) only has a slot that's physically as big as a PCIe x16 slot, but says it only runs in PCIe x4.

Of course, I only expect the bandwidth from four channels, not eight. To see what I mean, here's the manual: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-p55a-ud3_e.pdf

Will a PCIe x8 card run, but at half speed, or will it not run at all?
 
Will a PCIe x8 card (in this case, a RAID controller) work in a PCIe x16 slot that's running in PCIe x4?

I ask because I'm looking to buy a RAID controller, but some of the higher end ones are PCIe x8 cards, and my motherboard (Gigabyte P55A UD3) only has a slot that's physically as big as a PCIe x16 slot, but says it only runs in PCIe x4.

Of course, I only expect the bandwidth from four channels, not eight. To see what I mean, here's the manual: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-p55a-ud3_e.pdf

Will a PCIe x8 card run, but at half speed, or will it not run at all?

Yes it should be fine at PCIe 4x speeds
 
Back
Top