PCI sound cards

Terpfen

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 29, 2004
Messages
6,079
It's been a couple of years since I followed PC audio, so coming back into the audio forum and reading about new cards like the Asus Xonar line has really surprised me, and I'm now thinking about delving back into the market.

I've got a plain old Creative Audigy 2 (not one of the variants, just a plain old Audigy 2) in a PCI port outputting to a 2.1 Klipsch ProMedia speaker system through the 3.5mm jack port. Would a new sound card offer any sound quality improvements, or am I better off buying a new pair of speakers with a digital input?
 
The Audigy 2s had pretty good analog sound output quality, and aside from a handful of questionably useful additions in EAX version 5 there isn't anything they can't handle.

I'm not sure any upgrade would get you any kind of improvements worth the price.
 
Back
Top