PCI SATA controller?

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
5,847
How bad will the performance be if I get a PCI based SATA controller? In other words, will the controller saturate the PCI bus so much that I'll have stuttering issues or the like?

Would it be better if I got a PCI Xpress based SATA x1 controller? I'm planning to get an adapter that has 4-8 ports.

Thanks.
 
If you can get a PCIe controller, no reason to even risk having the problems you mentioned, especially if you need that many ports..
 
It wouldn't necessarily stutter, but you'll easily saturate PCI with that many drives. You'll even risk saturating a x1 PCIe, however that would have fewer side-effect on other devices.

PCIe is intended for problems like this. If you can, take advantage of it.
 
It wouldn't necessarily stutter, but you'll easily saturate PCI with that many drives. You'll even risk saturating a x1 PCIe, however that would have fewer side-effect on other devices.

PCIe is intended for problems like this. If you can, take advantage of it.

So let's say I get a, x4 PCIe. We're talking about no stutter, right? And yes, I'm certain that PCIe was developed specifically for this.
 
You can still get stutter due to other causes, so there are no guarantees. However x4 PCIe will be tons of bandwidth for a 4-drive storage controller.
 
Back
Top