pci-e pin confusion

Joined
Oct 10, 2002
Messages
3,441
I need a new power supply for the gtx 580 I bought. It requires 2 - 8 pin plugs and one 6 pin plug.

Is 6+2 the same as 8 pin? Hell I don't know.

If nothing else recommend a psu for me. Preferably < $200.
 
6+2 pin means a connector that splits into two parts so it can be used as either a 6-pin or an 8-pin connector.
 
"I see", said the blind man. Thanx.

No problem :) There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers (and responses). Most PSUs these days use 6+2 as standard. Only older PSU's had direct 8 pins, and that just hurts compatibility if a card has two 6 pin connectors. FWIW, PC power and cooling does sell a 6 to 8 pin adapter (for psus with two 6 pins), which does work fine.
 
Back
Top