• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

PCI bus limitations

DanNeely

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Messages
4,833
stupid question but is the 133mb/s bandwith for the entire pci bus, or per slot? If the later could I double my total HD bandwidth by splitting my drives into two smaller raids instead of a single large one. I know it would be a limited gain since I'd only see the gain when accessing two files on seperate arrays. Anyway I'm just wondering if this's a potential option or would only end up eating a cardslot.
 
DanNeely said:
stupid question but is the 133mb/s bandwith for the entire pci bus, or per slot? If the later could I double my total HD bandwidth by splitting my drives into two smaller raids instead of a single large one. I know it would be a limited gain since I'd only see the gain when accessing two files on seperate arrays. Anyway I'm just wondering if this's a potential option or would only end up eating a cardslot.

Sadly, that 133 MB/s bandwidth is for the entire PCI bus.
 
E4g1e said:
Sadly, that 133 MB/s bandwidth is for the entire PCI bus.

Which is realistically limitted to about 120MB/s after overhead and such.
 
Back
Top