PC Problems - HELP! System boots, but doesn't

Hyper_Lite

Weaksauce
I just built my new system and I'm having a couple issue's. Hopefully someone can help me out.

I had a P4 3.0 system previous to this one. I kept the optical dirves, hard disk, audio card, case, and psu. Everything worked great on this system, I didn't have a single problem.

Well I decide to upgrade and move back to AMD to give their Athlon64 processor a whirl. I install all the parts and everything seems to be OK. Now about a week later some things start showing up. I have no idea what it could be, and I'm thinking about RMA'ing the motherboard and getting it replaced. When I boot up the PC it will work every other time. The bios boots, and it starts to launch the OS, but it doesn't. I reboot and it's fine, if I reboot again it does the same thing. Then while in Windows accessing this single folder takes about 20/30 seconds and all the other folders load fine. Sometimes while in games while changing options it will lock up, but I've never had a problem while in the game. Does anybody have any idea what could cause this?

New System:

AMD Athlon64 3500+
1GB Cosair XMS PC3200 Memory
MSI K8N Motherboard
NVidia 7800GTX Video Card
2 optical drives
120GB WD 8MB 7200rpm HD
420Watt PSU (TTGI)

It sounds like the problem lies either with the hd controller or the hd itself. Try a fresh install on a different hd if you have one then run that and reboot a few times and see how it acts...If it's still the same, I'd rma the motherboard...Btw lemme know how that works out and happy troubleshooting

Few questions:

- Do you have the latest BIOS?
- Do you have an updated (DAT) antivirus software running?
- What about the RAM? Do you have them in the correct DIMM slots?

If nothing works, reformat HD and reinstall Windows. Do not connect to network. See if it acts the same.

Same thing ^ said...check RAM (memtest86, people) and make sure everything is seated properly.

Temps?

After that, back up all data, and reinstall Windows. If possible, before that try a different HDD. If it *is* fixed with the new HDD, it might be time to find another primary one.

Back