PC doesn't detect my printer; Laptop Does

I have an HP Photosmart 1315. When I install it using the provided software on my laptop, everything works fine. My laptop detects the printer, no problem.

However, when I run the disk on my PC, and it propts me to plug the printer into my PC, it does not detect it. I am connecting the PC to the printer via USB but it does not detect it. I have tried using USB 1.1 and 2.0.

Both computers are running Windows XP Pro. The laptop is a Dell 700m while the desktop is homebuilt. I can list the exact parts if you think that would be relevant. Thank you for your time.

Try unplugging the USB cable and then plugging it back in after you get the detection error. I know that sounds weird but it worked for me with a cheap Lexmark printer when Win2kPro wouldn't recognize it and always prompted asking if my printer was switched on or plugged in.

Michael Shaw said:
Try unplugging the USB cable and then plugging it back in after you get the detection error. I know that sounds weird but it worked for me with a cheap Lexmark printer when Win2kPro wouldn't recognize it and always prompted asking if my printer was switched on or plugged in.

If that doesnt do the trick, make sure your USB ports are working using something else

Turn off usb legacy support in the bios but as Majordomo said, make sure the other usb is enabled.

Back